Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
3/S Addict
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you have a synchro for each gear in a manual transmission. How much would it be for parts to replace one of those?

·
W3Si member #010
1,765 Posts
i have no clue, but which gear do you need? I just blew my tranny, but I know my syncros are good. I could just steal it off of the core before i send it back. Kormex has caused enough problems with my trans already. Let me know.

·
3/S Addict
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My third gear synchro is beginning to go. Let me know, thanks!

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
You guys with FWD models have a Mitsu trany. Just call up a dealer and ask! I list discount dealers on the Garage Page at my web site.

·
Registered
399 Posts
By the way, I just called up Mitsubishi in Japan for our 6sp Getrag syncros. 1-2,3-4,and5-6 syncros are each 35,000Yen which is...285.83 dollars.

·
Registered
244 Posts
That seems a little high. I got all my synchros + clutch through out bearing for less then $1200. Synchros 1-2 came from one place and 3-4, 5-6 came from another. Both shops they came from were in the states, but I am not sure were. I know it was not Kormex, though.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I think the price is the retail, I can probably get it cheaper, but that is what the Mitsubishi Customer center said.

·
Registered
202 Posts
How do you know if your synchros are no good?

How would i know if i had bad synchros? Cause there is definately something wrong when i shift. I had my clutch slave cylinder replaced and ever since it seems like my car is hard to get in and out of gears. But this only happens sometimes. Could this be related to the synchros?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I am not so sure, but I think so.

That is the reason why I am doing mine, and I am hardening my output and input shaft at my University, so that it could handle higher HP.

854 Posts
synchro source

blfreund said:
That seems a little high. I got all my synchros + clutch through out bearing for less then $1200. Synchros 1-2 came from one place and 3-4, 5-6 came from another. Both shops they came from were in the states, but I am not sure were. I know it was not Kormex, though.
Would you be kind enough to let us know your source for synchros? Business name and contact info.

Thanks,
Mark Wendlandt
'91RT/TT

·
Registered
244 Posts
I wish I could. The shop that did it for me was the local Mr. Transmission. I went in there and asked if they could rebuild my tranny. They said yes. I asked them several times if they could get the parts. They assured me they could, becuase he had part number. I ended up getting charged $800 for all the labour (Tranny synchros, clutch install, and transaxle re-seal.)

Well anyway the shop ended up getting schooled on our transmissions. Maybe next time he will listen to me. The guy had to call arround alot to find the parts. He did not tell me the two places. I mentioned Kormex and he did not seem to recognize it. He did believe that the 3-4 and 5-6 synchros may also fit a different vehicle.

If I get back to Mr. Transmission I will see if he will give me the info, he might be a dick and not. I believe the 1-2 synchros were cheap (around $100), and the others were in the $300 neighborhood, but don't quote me.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
i only very recently got my VR-4 and so i am not too familiar with it yet but i have heard that nobody really works on the stock tranny. i have heard of one place that might do it (in the denver area) but for the most part i have heard that you just need to buy a whole new tranny if a synchro gets f***ed up or something. my first gear synchro is going rapidly, i have to shift into second or do a lot of jiggling to get it into first without grinding so i would like to know how to get the first gear fixed if i could. it is a 92 if that helps. i am worried about taking it to this guy who says he can fix it, if he "fixes" it then it goes out right away i will be stuck with that bill plus i will need a tranny (~$4k). i heard it was something like people don't have the right tools to work on it or something. suggestions?
thanks.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think that a shop that specializes in trannys should be able to work on a Getrag (That is our tranny). The problem comes with finding the parts and the price of them. Expect quite a bit of money just to get the tranny out and cracked open.

As for the $4K. I was told it went up to $5.5K, but that is from Mitsu. Kormex has rebuilt for about $2K w/ exchange. He also sells atleast the 1-2 syncrhos and the output shaft.

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
ikOnone,
I list 9 shops that rebuild our Getrag on the Garage page at my web site.

blfreund,
Did you get the old parts from your trany? Did you see the "new" parts? How do you *know* exactly what they replaced and that *new* parts were used. I don't mean to grill, just curious. It seems strange your shop can casually get new parts when every other shop in the country cannot get them. I hope they really are new. It will be great for the 3S community if they are.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
As Jeff and others have mentioned ,working on this transmission isn't something out of the ordinary for any trans tech, its finding the parts that make it difficult ,so if blfreund can find out where
Mr transmission sourced the parts ,I would also like to know .

Frank Martin

·
Registered
244 Posts
Jeff, I asked for all the parts. I understand your curiosity. They sure the hell better me new. He gave me all six synchros and a throw out bearing for the clutch. He asked if I wanted to clutch but I did not take it.

Here is a pic. He said they were all worn. I am not sure if he was jerking me around or not.

http://home.swbell.net/blfreund/synchros.jpg

854 Posts
parts.com

Has anyone ordered anything from http://www.parts.com?

If you enter a 1995 Mitsu 3000VR4, all of the internal parts are listed for the 6spd Getrag (synchros, gears, bearings, shafts, forks, etc). They are priced(expensive of course) and can be added to a shopping cart.

I have a 5spd and they have no parts listed that, so I have not tried to order from them....Frank maybe that is the source you are looking for??;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just had my tranny rebuilt about a month ago. my synchros were very bad, (my tranny froze up in the middle of the road), the shop I took it to rebuilt the tranny for 1200 dollars. I got the car back and everything worked so i was happy. With it came a 12 month 12000 mile warranty in case something messes up. The shop I took it to was American Auto and Transmission. Any questions i will be happy to help just holla at me and I will do whatever i can.

·
Registered
244 Posts
hotrod4151

What kind of 3000GT / Stealth do you have?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts