Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
arite so i tested out a 91 stealth TT today....it was in great condition, with 63000 miles so it needed the 60K tune up...but im most likely gonna by it...

anways on to my point, everything was in perfect condition....but when shifting from 2nd - 3rd the gears there was a loud "GRRNNTTT" sound and it sounded like they were grinding....im pretty sure it was the synchros that were bad cause it got quieter as we drove for a bit....

i know thats a common problem for the car and its age, but what do you do about it....rebuild?...replace?....fluids?...or what

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Well if it comes and goes it probably isn't the syncro....when they fail, they fail. Try changing out the fluid with some good stuf, ie. syncromesh or redline. See if that helps the grind after about 100 miles.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the replys...but remember this isnt my car....YET....hehe...it was a great car...i need to get my damn insurance money back first before i can purchase a car....i hate the insurance procedure it takes SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO loooooonnggg.... crash on 11/09 now its 11/25....ill prolly get the money around 12/05 (I HOPE!)

damn...oh well...thanks ... ill probably ask the guy to change the fluid into redline or something before i get it, or i could probably find some redline for like $6/quart

i heard that if it stops the "grinding" after about 10 minutes when the car has warmed up then its the fluid and not the synchros
i also heard that if it doesnt "grind" when the car is off then its the fluid, but if it does then its the synchros

are any of these true? they sound it ... and i hope its just the fluid cause that would be great since the car hasnt had the 60K tune up and im gonna have to shell out the 1500 to do it....

till next time - mike

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Well they won't grind when the car is off, nothing is spinning. But when the car is off you should be able to shift into the gears without a problem. The thing about warming up isn't totally true. Generally though, syncros are always bad or always good. I had a syncro die on me, but it was kind of a slow process. It went at random times and then completely.

·
That Others May Live
3,845 Posts
With a '91, instead of changing out the synchro, it would be in your best interest to swap to a 25 spline tranny/tc if you are going to run it hard. The 18's strip real easy.
Thats IF you buy it.

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
#1 The 60k service is URGENT. And by that, I mean I honestly would suggest flat-bedding it to wherever is doing the work. Why? Well, because it's a ticking time bomb. That, and it's cheap insurance. A $100 tow or a $3000+ new engine. :)

#2 Expect that you WILL replace the tranny at some point. You can put up with the grinding for a while and it will take a while to get bad enough to be impossible to shift... but it's most definately the synchros. The 2-3 is the first to go in most cases. And yeah it will be worse when the tranny is cold and get better as it warms up. But once you hear the "grrrrt' then you have a bad synchro. Guaranteed. You can replace the 2-3 synchro, I think the part is around $150 from Kormex, but rebuilding the tranny isn't easy and you will NOT find a shop locally to do it. Expect 12 hours labor (book hours) for a shop to remove and replace the tranny, and then possibly shipping it to Kormex for the rebuild. Or you can buy a rebuilt one from Kormex, around $2000 I think.

Oh yeah, while the tranny is out, you'll want to replace the clutch. It probably has 30-40% life left but to replace it you have to remove the tranny, HUGE labor costs. Once the tranny is out, it's less than an hour of work. So you'll want to spend the $250-300 on an OEM clutch (or $450 on an aftermarket).

Finally, if you are low on funds after buying this car, then you need to rethink your purchase. A VR4/TT is NOT the car to buy if you don't have money to fix it up (and on the other side, to MOD it, which you WILL want to do!). You have a guaranted $1500 for the 60k service, to be done RIGHT AWAY. Then you have $2000 at some point in the future to replace/repair the tranny after you get sick of the grinding.

The GOOD news is you have some negotiation room with this car. The guy will have to do a 60k service if he keeps it, and it will be hard to sell with a grindy transmission.

The car is probably worth $10,000 with those miles (assuming the paint/body and interior are near perfect)... with the 60k and tranny, you should be able to pick it up for around $6000, maybe less. But it's not worth more than $6000 in its current condition.

How much is he asking??

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hes asking 8.... and i know about all of the expenses from my friends who have this car ... i have the money for it all....dont worry about that...im gettin about 10500 from my insurance company...and ive got a lot to use on the car...so im all good

thanks for the post....the car just turned 63000 miles....so im planning on driving it home and getting it done when im in my area...its only like 70 miles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts