Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
arite so i tested out a 91 stealth TT today....it was in great condition, with 63000 miles so it needed the 60K tune up...but im most likely gonna by it...

anways on to my point, everything was in perfect condition....but when shifting from 2nd - 3rd the gears there was a loud "GRRNNTTT" sound and it sounded like they were grinding....im pretty sure it was the synchros that were bad cause it got quieter as we drove for a bit....

i know thats a common problem for the car and its age, but what do you do about it....rebuild?...replace?....fluids?...or what?....

·
Registered
9,645 Posts
yea few hundred bux for the synchro and then a few hundred for labor if you dont wana do it yourself.....thats if anyone will work on the tranny except kormex or something like that who does total rebuilds...but i try new fluids first.

·
Hellfire Master
2,666 Posts
Did it just grind or was it slightly hard to go into gear?

-Change the fluids. Put in GM Synchromesh.
-Check your shifter cables and see if there can be any adjustments made.
-If it is a synchro it can be fixed rather easily and relatively cheaply by someone experienced with manual transmissions. You might find it would be better to replace it though as other synchros could be on their way out as well.

Is the dealer offering you any kind of a warranty?

devilmanVISA

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
Rebuilding a tranny isn't always that cheap. Replacing synchros at some shops will cost you 1500 or more considering they have to drop the tranny to begin work and that is a bit of labor. 93Stealth just had his done at a tune of 1500 labor. It would be nice if you could find a cheaper shop, good luck, the dealer will charge at least that much and probably won't do as good a job.

LW

·
Registered
131 Posts
It may not be as cheap as you think, just as a warning, my little synchro problem is costing me around 2000, and that doesnt include the new clutch and flywheel that I am getting.

So, I would really try to argue down the price because this can be horribly expensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts