Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Boost Junkie
945 Posts
3SX sells allthe stuff your looking for. i would get front and rear strut bars. That will make the car very solid and you'll notice a nice difference in the handling. As for rear sway bar, that changes the handling characteristics of the car drastically. The rear end wants to slide out all the time, frankly i didnt like it. This was on an NA though. Also to change the rear sway you have to drop the rear diff and stuff :rolleyes: As for the front sway bar, i dont have any expeirence with it. I've heard its a pain to change out also and i dont know what a bigger front sway bar would accomplish. I say go with the strut bars, just my .02 cents :cool:

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
Ideally, you want the front and rear sway bars to be matched, and putting one on without the other is asking for an imbalance in the handling characteristics. The strut bars are not supposed to do anything but keep the strut towers in alignment in hard turns. They are there to increase rigidity by having the towers braced against each other. Forces should be about equal and opposite, so tying them together helps to cancel the forces. The sway bars will keep the tires flat or parallell to the ground on turns, and depending on how the bars are attached may reduce the upwards travel of the front end on launches. Hence, many RWD cars that want to increase weight transfer for drag racing may opt to remove the bar entirely from the front end. This doesn't do us any good since we need to keep the weight transfer balanced btwn the front and rear. If the sway bars are too stiff, you may end up sliding all over the place in the rain or snow drifting into turns. This is because the tires remain flat, and the forces are distributed evenly on the tire. The forces remain the same, yet the area that the forces are applied is greater then when the tire tilted inwards or outwards putting the forces on either the inner or outer edge of the tire (which in the rain in snow is better). On most applications, bigger sway bars necessitate wider, stickier tires to take full advantage of their properties.

IMHO, all of these aftermarket parts need to be put on as a package. Stiffer sway bars will create more forces on the strut towers when tires are used that give better grip, so strut towers become important. When you have better better body roll control, you can do with a slightly softer spring and strut package because the struts and springs are not asked to do the work they really weren't intended for. This is the compromise you need to make for street use. If your a hardcore track guy, then you will want to complete the formula with a Tein or JIC set-up. For our car, your looking at about $3000 total to make the suspension kick ass. Others can tell you how much of an improvement all these changes make. Bigger front sway bars will increase understeer--which our car already does. The bigger rear alone will induce oversteer. The companies who make the bars are the experts and if they did their math right, a matched set-up will give the car a neutral balance.

Sam

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, i understand what you are saying, but is there a way to get an adjustable sway bar, or is the size the diameter of the bar.
I'm just wondering if i'm going yo be stuck with the steering of whatver i get. Also do you know of any plave other then 3sx where i can get the AWD sway bars. I would like to have more then one option.

·
Three SI OG
383 Posts
I just bought a set of sway bars from Steve at 3SX he is the only place besides Sanor direct and you might as well give the business to Steve.

I am putting on all 4 at the same time. Sway and Strut. Plus I run Potenza 02 tires so I hope I do not slide any. :p

However the sway bars are going to be a mother to install on a TT.

·
I can't stop modding :)
1,010 Posts
check out the strut bars at tec.com. they are a bit more expensive but they look like they are worth it. I have heard of anybody on this website has used them

·
GoFast Crackpipe Junkie
450 Posts
I've had the following combinations of suspension stuff on my VR-4 at one point or another:

* Rear Strut Brace (Cusco)
* Front Strut Brace (Tec)
* Front and Rear Strut Braces
* Front Anti-Sway Bar (Saner)
* Front and Rear Anti-Sway bars (Saner)
* Front and Rear Anti Sway bars and Front Strut Tower brace

I'm waiting for Chris (tecperformance) to finish up my new rear strut tower brace and then I'll have the complete package (minus the coil-overs, of course).

Relative level of difference in handling/ride (opinion):
1) Rear Anti-Sway Bar
2) Front Anti-Sway Bar
3) Front Strut Tower Brace
4) Rear Strut Tower Brace

If I were doing them over again, that's the order I'd do it in, although I'd definitely do 1 and 2 at the same time for a street car.

Pictures, notes, and installation instructions:
Front Strut Bar
http://www.team3s.com/~egross/3000GT/FrontStrutTowerBar/FrontStrutTowerBar.html

Rear Strut Bar
http://www.team3s.com/~egross/3000GT/RearStrutBar/RearStrutBar.html

Front Sway Bar
http://www.team3s.com/~egross/3000GT/FSwB/FSwB.html

Rear Sway Bar
[coming...]

--Erik

1 - 9 of 9 Posts