Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies if this topic has been covered (I've seen a lot of threads about upgrading an SL to VR4 but nothing about full swap). I have a severely damaged but in great running condition 1992 VR4 6-speed with AWD and aero. I Own a body shop and was hoping to do the body work on it to bring it to restored condition, but it seems like I've bit off a bit too much in terms of work to be done. Now i'm looking into buying a non running, regular 3000GT or stealth and swapping the guts around.
Is this doable?
Is there differences in model years. that will make it easier/harder?
Is there a more desirable body to swap into?
Can manual be swapped into an automatic?
While the engine and trans are out, what are the recommended modifications? I'm looking to keep the car for me to enjoy.
I appreciate the help. Thank you!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Anything is possible with time and money. If you have both vehicles it will take mostly time. Are you sure it's a 6 speed? 92's are 5 speeds or it may have been converted to 6 speed already. Yes you can swap a manual into an auto body. I like stock because mine has been dependable and I like that, but it's up to you. A lot of work but can be a fun way to learn about these cars if that's what you want. I love this platform and would do it in a heartbeat.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,294 Posts
Google still works;) site:3si.org awd swap

You have both cars already. That's 10% of the battle since you can cut out the mounting studs for the driveshaft and rear subframe. The rest is time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts