Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 1991 Dodge Stealth TT, and the original stereo that was in it (the 2din tape deck with equalizer) had a blown channel on it. So off to ebay I went and found an original stereo with CD unit (the one that is two parts connected by a cable) which I was told came from a 1991 Dodge Stealth. I installed the replacement unit in the vehicle powered everything up and the Radio unit turned on (and triggered the power antenna) but I got NO sound out of it at all (on any channel) and the CD unit didn't seem to power at all.

I noticed that on the back of the CD unit there is an extra plug that I don't have any cables for, so I am wondering if I am missing some parts that might cause the radio not to work. Anyone know?

This is what I had:

and this is what I tried to put in:

Thanks all!

P.S. (Yes, I know I could install a brand new unit ... but I am trying to keep the car "stock", as a snap shot of the tech at the time it was built).

·
Registered
474 Posts
even a simple radio swap can turn into a nightmare on these cars
so if you don't replace the part with the same exact part their will be issues to be resolved

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Xphyr ! I just went through this same issue. My original stereo was same as yours. I accidentally bought a replacement unit that was " Infinity" branded. It is a PRE-OUT only unit, no built in amplifier. Naturally, it didn't work - same as yours. Turned on and power antenna came out, but no sound.

I wonder if your replacement unit is a pre-out only unit as well. Also, it could simply be defective, as many Ebay sellers don't bother testing their stereos. Third option is that you have a shorted out speaker or wiring, and some "more modern" stereos shut down their amplified output if they detect a short circuit on any of the speaker channels.

Just in case, check to see if your car came with an external amp, look behind the stereo below the climate control for this amp : 3000gt amp.jpg

With all that said, you probably just got a defective, or incorrect (pre out only), radio.
Your extra plug is probably for steering wheel controls.

Do you have a picture of the back (plug side) of both stereos?

·
Super Moderator
4,486 Posts
I'll go with...Needs an external amp.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts