Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys ,probably tons of threads out there about this , i just can't find the right one !
So i need to know what i need to put a second gen. engine in a '91 tt?
If someone has the list and step by step inst. it would help me out a lot !
Thank you guys!
Lajos

·
Wrenchmonkey #839
4,979 Posts
Block or entire engine?

Are you swapping the shortblock of the entire engine?

If you are swapping just the 4-bolt main see my webpage:

http://members.aol.com/johnmonnin/6fourbolt1.html

I only swapped the shortblock, if you swap the entire engine then I am not an expert.

The problem with swapping the entire engine is that the crank angle sensor is on the rear head on 1st gen and it is on the front of the crankshaft of the 2nd Gen. This will require some harness changes and maybe a new ECU.

If anyone who has actually done this will clarify, I will update my Webpage.

John Monnin

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I replaced my '91 rt engine and transmission with a '96 engine and transmission. However, mine is not tt so I am not positive. I had to change out the axles to larger ones so that they would fit in the new tranny. For the engine, all I had to do was rewire the crank angle sensor and the cam sensor so that it would plug into the engine properly. On the 1st gen, they are on the passenger side of the engine, where on the 2nd gen they are on the driver's side. All I did was look at the wiring diagram and match up all of the wires. Took me like five minutes. Otherwise, everything hooked up perfectly.

·
Wrenchmonkey #839
4,979 Posts
Did you have to splice the wires?

gte853y said:
I replaced my '91 rt engine and transmission with a '96 engine and transmission. However, mine is not tt so I am not positive. I had to change out the axles to larger ones so that they would fit in the new tranny. For the engine, all I had to do was rewire the crank angle sensor and the cam sensor so that it would plug into the engine properly. On the 1st gen, they are on the passenger side of the engine, where on the 2nd gen they are on the driver's side. All I did was look at the wiring diagram and match up all of the wires. Took me like five minutes. Otherwise, everything hooked up perfectly.
Did you have to splice the wires in any way? lengthen? or crosswire?
Did the 91 connnector on the heads snap on to the 96 crank angle sensor on the block.

If you have any before and after pictures I'll put them on my webpage.

John Monnin

·
'91 VR4
71 Posts
I was looking at a 1st gen and a 2nd gen JSpec engine last Saturday and had the following thought... I noticed that the 2nd gen engine had a cover plate where the 1st gen Crank Angle Sensor (CAS) gets installed. I was wondering if I could just install a 1st gen CAS on a 2nd gen engine, then just hook up to my normal harness. Has anyone ever tried this?

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I had though of that too, but on closer inspection, I decided that it would be easier for me to simply rewire than to replace parts. Although, If you decided to replace it, I don't think that it would be that difficult. But it was 10pm and I had all I needed to fix the wires.
When I did change the sensors, I used the plugs from the '96 because the '91 plugs would not fit. I then simply matched wire for wire, cause they arent the same color, and lengthened them so that they would reach across the engine block. I soldered and shrink wrapped all of the connections. I then created a bracket to hold the wires against he lower half of the timing belt cover.
So I really ended up splicing the ground (I think) because it was shared between the two, and then simply elongating the other wires, soldering them into the new plug and bolted it all to the engine.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
gte853y

Please post your exact changes on wiring - I waited months for a first gen and if I had known you could do the mods you suggested (granted we don't know if it works for a turbo) I wouldn't have waited (2nd gens are available everywhere).

thanks - Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts