Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Jason Greene, I am a 17 year old high school student and I live in Florida. I am the proud owner of a 1994 non-turbo Dodge Stealth R/T. While I am not interested in racing my car at the moment, I am interested in getting all the power I can from it (at an affordable price of course). The reason I have posted this thread is becuase my Stealth is an automatic. According to Suthnr's Stealth Air plans, that poses big problems. What I ask of anyone willing to help is that you help me find a way to get around this. Of course I want the highest air flow possible so I don't want to downsize the piping. At a glance, it does appear that there is plenty of room, but since Suthnr said there isn't I figured I'd ask people who know before I tried anything myself. Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Jason Greene
'94 Dodge Stealth R/T NA (Forest green)

·
Registered
613 Posts
There are several other options you can try. One is to create an "Air Wall" in theory this helps by limiting the amount of air entering from the hot engine bay. Another option may be to get a different hood like the pittman hood. It has air ducts or inlets that allow air inside the engine bay. I wouldn't really worry about air intake there really is no room especially if you have a TT. I would concentrate on getting an open air element first. Then change out your downpipe and exhaust. That will get you some HP real quick. Also, some of the NA guys said that the best mod they ever had was an Unorthodox under-drive pulley.

Good luck,

R

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My problem

My problem is that I am 17, and have very little cash flow right now. I saw an open element filter at auto zone for $25 the brand is like APR or something. However, I dont think it has the adapter to fit the MAS. My point is, I need somehting cheap... I realize now the K&N FIPK is $160. I don't have that to spend on a simple air filter.

·
3kgt Driver
3,505 Posts
Get an air filter cheap off of Ebay..dont spend 160 on a K&N like i did was I was a newbie. do a lot of research.

you can get a testpipe from www.testpipe.com for $45..did u remove the resonator yet?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Last I heard there was a post discussing this and the two most important things I got out of it were...

He may have gotten 1 or 2 HPmax

There may be a fear of water getting into the intake.

check into this first before you do anything. Also, you can do this mod at anytime. it doesn't have to be now. Take my advice, start saving money now because most of the mods for our cars are pretty expensive.

R

·
Registered
491 Posts
I agree to start saving, especially if you are anywhere near a major servicing (a 94 might be creaping up on the 120k soon). That will set you back some big bucks, so if you don't even have the money to cover that if it is any time soon don't even worry about mods. A car full of mods that won't run because you didn't do the service and you broke a belt or something is no good at all.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So basically the stealth air system is not too good? What about getting a hood scoop?? And how could he measure the HP gain... Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it hard to dyno a system like that since that doesn't take into account the air moving through the car?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also... I have to keep saying this... I need to do only cheap modifications right now. I am 17 and looking for another job (yes I'm in school). I'd just like to get the cheap stuff out of the way. Maybe I'll do expensive stuff later, but right now I am not looking to race. This car is only a daily driver, I just like to take advantage of whatever power I can.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Since you said that..

Get a test pipe and remove the resonator.

That's about all you can do for the cheap stuff.

Everything else is just about or over a $100.

And from what I've seen, there is really no way to dyno your car and find out how much more HP you get with a hood scoop because most of the time, your hood is kept open during dyno'ing.

LOL

·
Premium Member
14,048 Posts
Intake: off ebay for $60 (I think) - 2-3hp
Testpipe: through me $35 shipped ($45 if you want gaskets which you probably do). - 5-10hp

Right there you're looking at around $100 for about 10hp. With 10hp you're gonna feel a difference. And since you said that you plan on modding your car more in the future these 2 mods are gonna make more of a difference as you put more mods on the car. Good luck.

Terry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.