Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does everyone realize that in most states if you only have the 15/30 basic coverage as mandated by law that it is NOT enough?

In Arizona for instance, if i have low policy limits and i total someones elses 100K car and am at fault, then they can SUE ME for the other 85K to replace their car if they dont have any insurance, or underinsured motorist coverage, or unisured motorist coverage. :eek:

Would you rather pay a little more up front for higher limits, or pay dearly for the rest of your life?

Personally, i have a ONE MILLION dollar policy. I would have to hit a schoolbus, then crash into a crowd full of people before a million dollars is used up.

Hopefully, this thread will wake someone up and save their financial ass. Check with your insurance agent. ;)

·
VR4 Member
1,877 Posts
good point pokey! but some of us teenage broke ass mofo can't afford higher insurence. I guess maybe we sould just not drive?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Hey good point. My vr4 may be on the road soon, God willing, and if it is, you just changed my mind from minimum. I'll move it up and pay the extra 200$ a year or whatever it comes to. But I will be paying 3000$ a year or so WITHOUT collision...crazy what they make us NY "kids" pay.

·
No surrender!
2,270 Posts
hobbit382 said:
good point pokey! but some of us teenage broke ass mofo can't afford higher insurence. I guess maybe we sould just not drive?
No shit!
I don't even know anyone w/ a $100k car. I don't evem know anyone that will let me drive there car.
1million dollar policy?
you plan on fucking somethig up don't you?

When full coverage insurence becomes less than my car payment i will get it.

·
Grrr, baby, grrr
6,116 Posts
I think he likes to live by the better safe than sorry paradigm. I typically try to take that line of thought, as well. It doesn't always happen, though. :D :(

·
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!
1,107 Posts
It's true that you should have a higher policy to not only cover those that you may cause damage to, but more importantly, our extremely expensive cars.

I personally used to use 15K/30K insurance with my previous car, but now that I have my VR-4 I have 50K/100K coverages. The difference between 15/30 and 50/100 was only $120 difference per year. So always better to be safe than sorry. Plus, I'm considering getting an extended service policy on my car since I'm about to hit 60K miles and the manufacturer warranty will be gone.

·
VR4 Member
1,877 Posts
but anyone under 21 that has a vr4 its not just going to be 120 extra. it would probably be 1200 extra.

·
No surrender!
2,270 Posts
I had to options when buying my VR-4
-1. Get a loan, Gett he car & have full coverage [email protected] $850 a MONTH

or

-2 Cash advanced on credit car & have Liability [email protected] $60 a month

I went with option 2 & I Willingly pay 1k a month to my credit card payment.

I havn't drove the car in 3months.

·
2,994 Posts
Sue me? For what? I am 70K in debt, they can have a peice of that if they want. Do you know what insurance for my car full coverage is? And I have already hit that 25 age thing so unless I get married with kids real soon, its not going to happen.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It only another couple of dollars a month. Try and find it somewhere. Liu Kang raised a good point, kids. Hmmm. Well try explaining to them that you have a 100K judgement against you cause you tried to save less money than what you spent in MODS that year, and now you have to pay on it for another ten years.

Do you all think lawyers will give a f--k? You will get sued and garnished. Believe me, if your negligence hurt me, i would sue for everything needed for my medical care, and nursing. And extra.

Cause i was injured by a horse in high school. I didnt start affecting me until 10 years later.

You can either afford the car and a nice100/300 policy, or you cant. The argument that then you cant afford the car because of a common sense obligation to protect you and your family is CRAZY!!!

Sell it.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
><i>ome of us teenage broke ass mofo can't afford higher insurence. I guess maybe we sould just not drive?</i>

Bingo. Don't play if you can't pay.

Would you think it acceptable to have sex without a rubber simply because you can't afford one, even though you risk being bankrupted for the next 18 years with child support payments?

Driving without adequate insurance is no different. If you smash into someone and they successfully sue you for more than your coverage, it matters not that you don't have the money right now - you will some day, and they will garnish your income and your posessions for the rest of your life until they recover. The state will allow you the bare minimum housing, food, clothing, and you can kiss cars goodby forever. You will be living in penury until the day you die, and all because you were a smartass 18-year-old who thought the rules didn't apply to him.

Just what *do* they teach you jerks in school these days?

·
perpetual college student
3,903 Posts
it's called "filing for bankruptcy"

I think I have 50/100

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
I am still getting affected by some jerk off in his 87 Corolla who T-boned me 3 years ago. He had no insurance, but because he drove a POS Japanese tin can-mobile and got hurt, he sued my insurance company for his damages and won. Now I pay an extra $1000 a year in insurance for it--to replace his $200 rust-bucket and his pain and suffering. They blamed the whole thing on me because he had the right of way. In reality, he passed a stationary bus in a one lane road, and hit me as I proceeded to cross an intersection. I say either way you pay. I am not going to make it easy for someone to sue me for poicy by having a huge one. Its much tougher and expensive for someone to sue another person rather then go with the policy amount. I am already paying over $3000 a year at age 30 with a $1000 deductible. Thanks for the advice Pokey, but I don't live in Ohio or North Dakata or Alabama where full coverage isn't much. Where I live its like having two car payments. I would buy insurance from a fake company if that saved me a couple grand each year.

Sam

·
2,994 Posts
My car is garaged all the time. I have probably put less than 3K miles on her this year and don't see me putting any more on her. The difference is 2K more for full coverage and they don't even know that it is a covertible. I drive super careful cause if anyone else hits it, my life is over anyway. It just doesn't pay off. I am a great driver. I know what I am doing. I know the risks and accept them. And just so you know, most lawyers won't take cases that doesn't pay. Meaning, that if the person you are sueing is in debt, they don't want to get paid $20 a month for 40 years. It just isn't worth it for them.

·
UP THE IRONS!!!
3,129 Posts
Good point Pokey, however unless you own a house and have a family etc, it isn't worth the money. Like Liu said (and Liu, you haven't hurt anybody and are a good drive so this isn't directed at you bud) you can't get blood out of stone. I had an 18YO female driver hit me head on 2 years ago and she had NO insurance...I lost my job, 60% use of my right leg and a bit of sanity....and I will never see a fucking dime from her. Pro-bono lawyers WON'T TOUCH THAT because there are no "deep pockets" (she don't own shit or have a job) so I could spend about $1000 of my own money for another lawyer and yeah they could garnish her wages...but she's a fast food worker and has a new job every 2 months as it is. I'd just be inconvenienced and probably never break even. Besides, MY insurance company now has a $100,000 lean on her for my medical bills and I won't see shit till they get paid anyway. And don't be fooled for a minute that 1million in coverage is enough. Now is that for liability or property damage or both? Trust me, you hit a schoolbus full of kids and paralyze 8 of them for life....your million dollars will be gone before you can sneeze.....and bring cab fare to the court house 'cuz they'll be driving your car home.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well Andrew at leasst we agree on this one.

Hey Liu. I bet most attorneys would take a hands down negligence suit. Most cases NEVER reach the courtroom anyhow. They are settled.

Take a look at the criminal justice system where a majority of people in prison are there without the benefit of a trial. How could this happen, you ask? Not in America...BULLSHIT...

It goes like this. You get arrested. You cant make bail. They hold you for 9 months or so whilst awaiting trial. You are probably guilty.

They offer you a plea bargain that offers time served, plead guilty to whatever, go on 3 years PROBATION. Wtf are you gonna say? You want out now.... You break the law again and you go to prison not for any specific charge, but because of violation of probation. :rolleyes:

My sources tell me that this was cooked up about 20 years ago at some convention and thereafter with A Prosecuting Attorneys Association. It has worked ever since.

Not a bad plan. Or is it?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a feeling if your gonna do 1 mill worth of damage, your ass is gonna be a grease spot anyway.:p So forget the car insurance- You gonna need life insurance.

·
20 yr owner
1,867 Posts
I hate car insurance..Maybe I could
justify the cost if I ever drove the vehicle.

I drive a company van 99% of the time.
I put about 800 miles on the vr4 this
year and that was mostly breaking in the
rps 3.

So really I see no point in carrying better
than average coverage.

·
VR4 Member
1,877 Posts
and a bit of sanity....
so is that why you give all of 3s the finger? I kinda thought it was funny when I first saw it but now every time I see it I can't help to think what you are trying to say by it. are you telling me to F- off?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts