Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
BFA
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this reoccuring problem with my car starting. It either starts just fine with no problems, or starts and idles at about 300 for a few seconds and dies. The only way I can get it to start when it has the problem is to slam the gas pedal to the floor repeated ly as fast as I can, and I can get it to hold that low idle, and after many seconds, it finally responds to the gas and raises rpms, and then idles and works fine. It seems like it isn't getting enough fuel, and it BARELY responds to the gas pedal when in this condition. I'm sure it's not a clogged fuel line, cause the problem is either there or not, no in-betweens. Could a fuel pump act like this? Working sometimes but not other times? Very rarely when I'm driving, I'll feel what seems like a slight fuel cut, most of the time when this happens, I'm at High revs in second gear. It's not gas shifting in the tank either, cause I've felt that kind of fuel cut before, and the one I'm experiencing isn't that bad. Does anyone know what might be causing this? If it is the fuel pump, can I up grade the fuel pump without upgrading anything else at this time? I plan on doing alot to my car, and I don't want to spend any money on something that I'll end up upgrading later on. One other thing that might have something to do with my problem is that I noticed my rear turbo is sucking in a little oil, but the dealer said that the seal was wearing out, and it's not a huge problem yet. Could my turbo be seizing up and stopping airflow sometimes? Thanks for any help guys!

Jason
92 Stealth R/T TT

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
I wish I could help because it would mean mine did not do it anymore. I have two stealth's and they both do the same thing. I notice it a lot more when it is cold out. They both run and start great 99% of the time but sometimes they will start and idle at 300 RPM and want to die. If I drive for a short distance even down the block they idle fine after that until I stop and re start it, or it starts just fine. It's anoying when it happens and yes it is very un responsive to giving it gas at first. If you find out the problem pleas let me know also and I will do the same. PS. I have New plugs, wires and about everything else including fuel filters.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Ditto... I have been having the EXACT same problem for about a month now. Once I get the car moving, it has ZERO problems with the fuel...

Also, in the mornings when the automatic idle kicks in (holds about 1200 RPM) it works fine... it's just when I've driven it, stopped and then started it again later.

Any help would be great for all 3 of us.

Travis.

91 R/T TT, 56k miles, FIPK, HKS BOV & EVC IV, Magn. & NGK.

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
Same thing is happening to me, too!

Hmmm.. I've been trying to figure it out for awhile..

-LDG
93 Stealth ES

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
Any more help on this one?

D

·
0 Posts
Jeez, I think my VR-4 is trying to make up for your low idle rpm. Every morning after starting, the engine races to 2000 or even 2500 rpm until it warms up and drops to its normal idle. I have heard people say its perfectly normal...its just warming up. Well, its never had to do that before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts