Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the negatives to removing these, just more dust on my wheels? I broke a bolt taking them off to do my hubs, and that one rubs on the rotor if I hit a bump the wrong way. Then I get to jack the car up and move it back out of the way. It'd be easier to just remove 'em, but if it'll be extremely detrimental to other stuff I won't.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
SDSU Alumnus
4,122 Posts
I would say it is a bit of everything. They keep brake crap from covering suspension bits too, but they probably also help limit the elements from hitting the rotor directly.

FWIW, I removed my front ones when I installed my Koyo hubs and new everything else.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say it is a bit of everything. They keep brake crap from covering suspension bits too, but they probably also help limit the elements from hitting the rotor directly.

FWIW, I removed my front ones when I installed my Koyo hubs and new everything else.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9
If it's just dirt, I'll be fine removing them. Weight reduction FTW!

·
Registered
354 Posts
They are more than just dust shields they are also part of the heat management of the brakes. If you are running hard at a road circuit, your brake rotors will get to dull-red hot. The shields will both reduce radiant heat degradation of adjacent components and bodywork, and help direct cooling air (and any additional ducting) into the annular opening at the rear center of the disk.

Reactions: shellhouse

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are more than just dust shields. If you are running them dull-red hot at the track, the shields will both reduce radiant heat degradation of adjacent components and bodywork, and help direct any cooling feeds into the annular opening at the center of the disk.
I don't track the car very often, and if I do it's only the quarter, not autocross or road racing. I don't think it'd be a big deal, considering my heat shields are gone from the car(before I bought it), and I don't even have the hood blanket insulation there and haven't had problems with that. I tried drilling out/using an easy out for the bolt I broke and it didn't work, or it'd be a moot point.

Reactions: OldMadBrit

·
Registered
354 Posts
I don't track the car very often, and if I do it's only the quarter, not autocross or road racing. I don't think it'd be a big deal, considering my heat shields are gone from the car(before I bought it), and I don't even have the hood blanket insulation there and haven't had problems with that. I tried drilling out/using an easy out for the bolt I broke and it didn't work, or it'd be a moot point.

Yes, I agree. I guess I was really just pointing out that their functions are a lot more than just dust shields.

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I agree. I guess I was really just pointing out that their functions are a lot more than just dust shields.
Fair enough. I hadn't thought of it that way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Back in 94 SAAB had a recall for the then new 900 to install dust shields that the factory thought would save money by leaving them off, in snow regions the calipers would ice and stop working, hence the recall.

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Back in 94 SAAB had a recall for the then new 900 to install dust shields that the factory thought would save money by leaving them off, in snow regions the calipers would ice and stop working, hence the recall.
Interesting. I suppose the shields kept snow/ice/etc from getting on the calipers. Good thing I don't deal with snow any more now that I live in Florida.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts