Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, In the middle of my turbo swap, just got the rear turbo out (Thank God, it's over!), and I'm having to swap my wastegate actuator thingies (okay, it's the friggen wastegate) and the oil feed line bolt thing, and well... I noticed that I'm a stud short on the new turbo. No Problem, I'll just swap them over... (like it's that easy...) So, now I can't get this stud out of the original turbo, and well.... I'm not sure what to do. Any advice? I've tried using pliers, (no channel locks though...) but I'm not sure if there's anything else. Thanks for any input! :)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
You can buy a stud remover tool - but ususally you can take two nuts and tighten them against themselves then back out the "lower" one, if you've got the nuts tight enough it will back it out. Now if it's a stud experiencing high heat it might break. What about just buying a new stud and installing it - might be easier and most places (if not most, go to a bolt supply store)carry the metric studs.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Joe,

Let it sit with some liquid wrench for a day. Visegrips popped them out for me fairly easy afterwards. The dual nut method works well also. Sorry Joe, I didn't even think of that. When I got the 357's from Matt(GT Pro) it was missing a bolt so I had to use it from the DR500's. Totally for got about replacing it(not that I really could of anyways:) ). The front turbo housing has all the bolts I believe. So no worries when you get that one.
Hey clean out that actuator as best as possible(keep the shirt for oil changes). While your car is down I'd try to blow out(clean out w/ oil emulsifier) the intercoolers. Based on the amount of oil you were leaking at the compressor, I'd bet the cores are soaked.

Tony

PS I'll email you as soon as I know something.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I actually put the turbo in already and plan on using an extra bolt I bought for the front turbo. I checked the thread pitch and all that, it bolts in just fine, so I'm hoping that will work. Also, I'm assuming I'd have to remove the front bumper to get the intercoolers out. Oil emulsifier doesn't sound too healthy for an engine. :)
Thanks Tony, I appreciate it.

p.s. Also, Thanks rick92vr-4, Now, I know how to remove a stud. :)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
No Problem - there's a bunch of knowledge up there somewheres - it's mostly from experience (just being old) :D

Let me know if I can help - Rick

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I've got another question for ya rick.... (Being the youngin I am :) ) I sorta broke the head of a bolt off on the intake plenum when I was putting it back on today (finally got the rear turbo in!). One of the two that hold the throttle cable in place. The first time it happened, I figured, "No problem" right? The second can still hold it in place. Well... The first time was about three months ago. :( Know of a good way to get what's left of either (or both) bolt out so I can get a new bolt in? Kind of an ASAP thing, I don't want to get the front one in and have to wait (and remove the entire damned plenum again) to get my car running. If you could help, I'd appreciate it. Normally, I'd hack at it with a drill, but I didn't want to run the risk of tearing up the threads. (My drill's battery is dead anyway, I was busy gutting my precats too :) )

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Well - I don't think there's much good news here. What I use, and to a very limited sucess, are easy outs - but you have to drill the old bolt out and use these left handed thred devices (so when you are turning them they "grasp" the old bolt and come out. The Snap On ones are indeed better quality and have a higher success rate - but I still think it a crap shoot.

I know the bolts you're talking about - might just be easier to drill them out entirely and substitute a bolt/nut combination.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know.... I never thought about that. It would probably be easier on me in the future too.
Thanks again Rick, I appreciate it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts