Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a late night Taco Cabana run, and when I turned the car off it went dead and the key remained stuck in the ignition. Now the car won't start, and I can't get the key out. I'll let the big guys handle the problem with my car not starting (it's not a battery problem because the lights, radio, etc. still work), but I just need to know how to get the key out. Is there some sort of emergency release in our cars?

Thanks,
Liron

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
*If you have an automatic* I think you have to have the car in PARK for the key to be able to be taken out. Also, maybe if the wheel was locked you could jiggle the steering wheel and then maybe the key will come out. I dunno what else it could be????

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's none of those. I have no clue what it could be. The car's in park and I tried jiggling the steering wheel. The key's stuck in the first position right after turning it, not the one where it is when the car is on (the position you use when you just want the radio). I'm going to mess with it again tomorrow in the light. It's too cold tonight to do it. I'm here in Austin, too, by the way.

Liron

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
where you at in Austin? I am at UT

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
not sure what the problem is BUT if it ends up being the ignition cylinder (where the key is stuck), I have one for sale.

I'd be willing to send it down to you with instructions on how to change it out (about 20 minute job using only a screwdriver)... if it works, you pay me, if not then send it back. All I ask is if it doesn't work, you at least reinburse me for shipping it down there (around $5-7 for FedEx).

Kinda a no-risk situation... worst case it doesn't work and you are out $5-7...

BTW if it works I'd like to get $40+shipping for the cylinder. I think they are like $150 or more new.

The only downfall is you'd have one key for the ignition and another key for all the other locks. I think you may be able to re-key it though, if it's that important.

Let me know!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm also here at UT. Jeremy - I'm getting it towed either today or tomorrow to the shop, and I'll let you know what it ends up being. Thanks for the offer.

Liron

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Ok let me know but you may want to just get this thing, if it works you just saved towing charges and diagnosis charges... if it's the cylinder, they'll just say "needs to be replaced" anyway.

:)

Again if it doesn't fix the problem you can send it back and you are only out shipping.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I honestly don't know. Me and my friend went and tried to fix it for about half an hour that night, just messing with the key, the gear shift (perse, it's an automatic), and the fuse box. Nothing worked. I decided I'd give it a day to let my baby calm down a little bit, and when I got back from classes the next day, the key came out and the car turned on just fine. Today she got to 100,000 miles. So I honestly don't know what the problem was. It's really weird.

Liron

·
Grrr, baby, grrr
6,116 Posts
I've had that happen before. Weird thing with the steering wheel lock or something. My key didn't want to come out, and the car didn't want to start. I had to jiggle the wheel some and eventually it unlocked and let me turn the key. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts