Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1991 VR4 with about 80k miles and the struts in my vehicle badly need to be replaced. It is currently with my mechanic in Pennsylvania and he is telling me that even after calling Mitsubishi to get guidance, he simply cannot locate factory struts. I am not knowledgeable about working on these cars, but he tells me the importance of the struts being factory is that without the factory struts, the car will lose the benefit of the electronic suspension even though non-factory struts will suffice and the car will operate properly.

I have owned this for a while but this is the first time that I have encountered such difficulty finding a factory part. Does anyone have this for sale or able to provide some expertise, insight, or recommendations? Thanks!

·
Registered
1993 3000GT VR4
2,132 Posts
The front ECS struts have been discontinued and completely sold out (at least in North America) for quite some time now. Your only option to retain ECS is to get lucky with someone selling some New Old Stock (NOS) struts that they have had sitting around or buy some low mileage used ones (neither of which is particularly easy or promising). The rears seemed to still be available last I saw, but if you cant get the fronts then there is no point in getting the rears.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh wow I did not realize it was that bad, I will have to search a bit harder and hope to get lucky. I guess VR4's these days either have stock, crappy struts, or new non-factory struts that remove the ECS. Thanks for your helpful response.

·
Money pit owner.
2,658 Posts
there is a thread, on this website, where a stock strut is disassembled with the hope of rebuilding it, but the OEM manufacturer (KYB) is unwilling to share the information on replacement parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts