Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,304 Posts
Dumb question Alan....

I see at the bottom of the tag for that crank "Remarks: Unbalanced"
That seems odd to me.
Not being an engine builder, it would seem to me you would want to start with a balanced crank.
I do realize that you want the whole rotating assembly to be balanced, but how exactly to you do that?

Old guy trying to gain some knowledge here.

Bob. :)
Hi Bob!

I am sure that others can chime in, but you are on the right track with the rotating assembly being balanced since every car and setup will be different even down to the pistons and rods. Just a random and quick search to give an idea, although not everyone balances with the other bits added.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,864 Posts
Hrmmm.
I was thinking that "somehow" they managed to balance the whole "enchilada" (pistons and all), which led to my confusion.

Of course, if I wasn't confused, I would be posting things in the "Advanced Technical Section", do you EVER find me there? lol

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I know you're a busy guy....

Bob.

Reactions: bboyalan

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,297 Posts
Hrmmm.
I was thinking that "somehow" they managed to balance the whole "enchilada" (pistons and all), which led to my confusion.
Bob, you’re not as confused as you might think. Most good engine balancing is done as you thought.

Pistons and rods are weighed, then using the lightness weight of each the others have excess weight ground off until all weigh exactly the same. Then one unit of piston, rings, wrist pin and rod is weighted for a total combined weight. A clamp-on weight equaling that total is bolted to each rod journal of crank, and then the whole assembly is spun and balanced by drilling holes in outer edge of crank counter weights. With this best practice usually anything like harmonic balancer or blower belt pulley, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate are balanced individually, so if any of those need replacing they can be without affecting the engine internal balance.

During my near:unsure: professional racing years, I had several piston, ring sets and rods on hand that matched weight of those in engine I was then running. That allowed me to replace those components as needed without throwing engine out of balance. And believe me during the period I was running large loads of nitromethane, I would go thru quite a few piston and ring sets.:cry:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any update on when the rest may ship?

·
1994 Mit 3000gt VR4 6spd
1,305 Posts
no update as of right now, I will update the thread when they start to go out

·
1994 Mit 3000gt VR4 6spd
1,305 Posts
We're looking at about 3 weeks or less for the rest of them to be finished up guys and gals

Reactions: sensational980

·
1994 Mit 3000gt VR4 6spd
1,305 Posts
Don't worry Lloyd I haven't forgotten about us. I'm hoping the rest of the cranks will get shipped out next week. I'll update the thread when they do.

Reactions: sensational980
81 - 89 of 89 Posts