Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was adjusting my hood alignment and hand loosened the 2 bolts on one all the way. Heard what sounded like something come loose and slide inside the hood where the bolt holes are. They must have had a nut welded there for the threads. Couldn't tighten hood down so I put treads in the sheat metal of the hood where the holes are and had to use large bolts to hold it but still can't tighten all the way because they will strip.

Any ideas on how to fix other than getting a new hood. Thought about welding 2 thin nuts on the outer side of the bolt holes or welding a thin plate where they are That would raise the hood some though.
And, I just painted the car too !
Thanks for the help.
Dan

·
Curmudgeon
5,458 Posts
Try using a magnet to slide the nut back into position. It'll be tricky, but if you can get a couple of threads started on the bolt then you can push it back in (attached to the bolt), smear some JB weld up inside the hole, then pull the nut back down into the JB. Once it dries you should be OK.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's is a great idea if I can pull them back . I guess I would need to take the hood off to keep it level so they don't slide back.

I will try that tomorrow!

Dan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts