Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
My power locks do some weird stuff, and I was wondering if other people have had this problem, and if there is a fix for it.
What happens is sometimes when I unlock the door, it locks itself again as soon as I take the key out. Also if I push the power button to unlock the doors it will unlock then lock again quickly. The car just wants to stay locked. This doesn't happen everytime, just most of the time. If I hold the key turned I can open the door, but it locks when I take the key out. The security is turned on after it relocks, but turns off when I start the car. This is all using the factory original key.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,850 Posts
My guess is....

ETACS.

(ETACS = Electronically Timed Accesories Computer System (I think)).

Controls alot of accesories.

Again, just a guess (but I bet Im close!)

Bob.

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
I beleive this is how its supposed to be.

If I am reading tyhe description of your problem, this only happens if you have the car turned off but the key still in the ignition?

If that is the case, it is working properly. This is to prevent you from locking your keys in the car on accident (of course you can jus tleave thme on the seat). It should open it self back up if your key is in the ignition and you try to lock the doors by hand.

·
Now BOOSTED
926 Posts
I'm interested in a fix too.

If the car is unlocked and I use the pwr lock button to unlock it locks itself, if the driver's side is unlocked and I hit the button it locks, when I hit it again both doors unlock:confused:

My car does exactly what you describe, but only from the pass side.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JagdStealth said:
I beleive this is how its supposed to be.

If I am reading tyhe description of your problem, this only happens if you have the car turned off but the key still in the ignition?

No, this is happening if the car is off, and locked, and I come to open the car, or pushing the button to unlock the other door once one is open, with the car off.

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Mine does this too. I thought I broke it because it didn't work til I took my door panels off and disconnected, then reconnected the pieces. It started doing this. Hit the button it slide back then slides the other way real quick.

-Jeff

·
Registered
715 Posts
my old green 97 SL did this too...sorry never found out what it was. I used to turn the key and pull the handle to open the door before it could re-lock itself. Then that started setting off the alarm so dont do it.

fyi: my 95 vr4 doesnt do it, and my wifes 98 SL doesnt either.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, so we've established that this is common, but not correct, has anyone figured out how to fix it, or does everyone just live with the annoyance?

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
It's really not annoying sorta good that it wont let you lock door with key in ignition. I think its supposed to happen. Maybe, its just a sensitive device that breaks. or people just don't notice it.

-Jeff

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not locking with the key in the ignition is a good thing. The problem I'm having is that it won't UNLOCK. When trying to get into the car I have to hold the key turned to open the door. And sometimes it sets off the alarm.

·
Here Alot
2,366 Posts
Read my problem. I have factory alarm system. When I am walking to the car. I push the unlock bottom on my remote, it will unlock and lock back up right away (70% happen). If I open the door quickly, I can open it before it locks itself back up. If i don't open the door quickly and locked it back up, then I have to use the key to open the door. Dealerhsip told me is the acuator (spelling??) but I don't have money to fix now.

·
Registered
715 Posts
yeah now that i think of it that makes sense.
no matter where I would push an 'unlock' button it would do that: button or slide lever inside, using key outside, or using remote.
also it wouldnt unlock the passenger side when you turn the key twice like its supposed to

someone gonna be the guinea pig and replace the door lock actuator?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll check on it today and see what it costs. Does anyone know where the actuator is located?

·
Registered
715 Posts
i will see if i have the cd with me and let you know later

1 - 15 of 15 Posts