Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a buddy of mine is looking at a 95 vr4 that has rediculously low miles......18k . I am starting to become suspicious that the seller has been able to shut off the odometer or something like that and turn it back on now that he is selling it. how can we check to make sure this is not the case?

Can this be done? Is there another way to check besides carfax?

maybe the ecu stores miles?

replies needed asap as he is buying the car withing the next two days.

thanks

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
I dont think there really is any way other than looking for clues. Carfax, may be able to help, but a lot of things are a miss from carfax.

Look for clues, like the wear of the seats, how the carpets look, the shape of the shifter and knob. The condition of the paint around the side skirts and so on. A car with 3K miles a year, should be in MINT MINT MINT condition

·
AZ 3/S Tech
1,264 Posts
look at the rubber pedal covers over the brake and clutch. If they are worn out or slipping off yuo'll know it is fraud! If the pedal covers have all of their 'tread' he may have found a needle in the haystack!!

·
Boldly Going Nowhere
682 Posts
Az1aN3000GT said:
isnt carfax pretty acurate?
Not really...unless there was a production of 2.5L Stealths in 1994, caus that's what size engine they said mine was.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
see this is what is making me wonder because he had the driver seat fitted with new leather and has a new shift knob and shift boot.. That is what triggered my suspicion.
When i asked him why he said that his dog had scratched the side of the seet when he would come home.

Is it possible for him to have shut off the odometer?

can mitsubishi check the ecu for stored miles ?

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
The knob and boot can deteroriate over time.

Having the seat re-covered means he was hiding the big wear mark on the bolster from 7 years of driving.

Car Fax would show a problem only if he dialed the mileage back at some point. There's no way to track a disconnected speedo sensor, which is what he would have done to keep the miles off.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
My miles are off right now...not on purpose. My speed sensor is cerewed, so the speedo fluctuates fast, usually saying I'm going ~150, and puting on the mileage for that speed :mad: So I unhooked it. All I need is the tach anyway :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.