Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was woundering what would a stock VR4 handle as in a turbo upgrade without having to change alot in the car...

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
Kill-99 said:
I was woundering what would a stock VR4 handle as in a turbo upgrade without having to change alot in the car...
Pretty much anything in a TD04 housing, I do believe.

(13gs, 15gs, 357 Magnums, 368s? I think, etc). If you go with something other than the TD04 housing, then you have to get new manifolds.

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
Like Ruiner said, you can bolt on damn near anything with a TD04 turbine housing.

It'll be a waste of money without doing the necessary fuel and intake upgrades though.

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
My comprehensive turbo upgrade guide.
http://www.geocities.com/lutransys/jlucius2/j2-2-turboguide.htm

A <B>STOCK</B> VR4/TT can only handle stock turbos. The fuel system must be upgrade at a minimum for larger turbos. Internal engine mods (forged pistons) and numerous external mods are advised also for longevity, safety, and optimal performance.

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Ok, but heres where I get confused.

Let's say I have a boost controller set at 14psi but I just want to hold it to redline. I don't want to boost over 14psi... and as you know the stock turbos barely hold 14psi past 4500-5000rpms.

Do I still need to upgrade the fuel system?

If I do, then I assume it has something to do with CFM and not PSI?

I for one wouldn't mind holding 14psi all the way to redline but don't want to mod SO MUCH that I have to mod my fuel system.

Can it be done?

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
JeremyG said:
Ok, but heres where I get confused.

Let's say I have a boost controller set at 14psi but I just want to hold it to redline. I don't want to boost over 14psi... and as you know the stock turbos barely hold 14psi past 4500-5000rpms.

Do I still need to upgrade the fuel system?

If I do, then I assume it has something to do with CFM and not PSI?

I for one wouldn't mind holding 14psi all the way to redline but don't want to mod SO MUCH that I have to mod my fuel system.

Can it be done?
I do believe that you can do so if you upgrade to the 13G turbos. That way, you can hold 14psi to redline and still keep your stock fuel system. Any larger of a turbo, however, will require fuel mods in order to boost 14-15psi...

·
Twin Power Pellets
9,372 Posts
13G's or the DR500's

anything bigger than that may be overkill for what you want.

·
Banned
10,940 Posts
According to Matt @ Dynamic witn the DR500's(and I assume the 13g are the same) to home 14-15psi to redline you MUST have a better fuel pump. You will be damn near maxing the rest of the stock fuel system too.

If you don't get a upgraded fuel pump do nto go over 12psi.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts