Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The New Super Pimp
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finally got my 91 tt. First i know the stock boost gauge in horribly wrong and i have searched for this problem but found little. ok i floor it in any gear boost goes up fine hit abot 4k and no more pull and there is weird sound. y pipe hasn't blown off. also boost says 14lb and doesnt drop so i don't think theres a leak but will tighten all hose fittings. if i ease off throttle will start to accelerate and pull but i soon as i give over half throttle no pull. i'm thinking no spark,too much air, not enough gas. goin to buy turbo timer, mbc, and plugs tonight. hopefully will solve problem.
also will a leak cause these problems?

any advice is appreciated thanks:mad:

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
Stock boost gage uses MAS (airflow) and engine RPM to back-calculate boost. Not completely dumb but they should have just used a pressure sensor and drive the gage directly.

Any leaks in the intake system will cause the stock boost gage to overstate the actual boost pressure.

In terms of your car, you need to expound on "weird noise" before anyone here can give you any credible advise.

New plugs are a good idea for any new purchase and make sure you do a compression check on every cylinder while you are changing them. Also, remember to number the plugs and inspect them. Plugs can provide a lot of information about how well the engine is running.

In an ideal world, changing the plugs and checking compression would be a good idea before buying any used car.

Clint

PS: Congrats on the new car!!

·
Registered
799 Posts
just check this,
out of curiousity,

in the engine, back by the boost solenoids and hoses...
youll see many many vacuum hoses, follow these hoses down..there should be an "H" connector!! MAKE SURE ALL OF THESE ARE CONNECTED!!!

lemme know if they arent..and reconnect'em

goodluck matt k

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
BTW- Someone earlier posted an MP3 recording of a problem and it was very helpful. If you have access to an MP3 voice recorder, it might be a quick way to find the problem.

Clint

·
The New Super Pimp
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The engine was rebuilt 22k ago so i was going on the hope that compression was good. hope doesnt always work. but anyways the sound sounds like a backfire or a rear driveline part that is worn. The sound happens everytime i get goin easy or hard on the throttle right after i let it klunks so i think its more of rear axle/joint problem. Did more drivin last night with others in the car to listen and look. Sound comes from the back. Otherwise when the engine stops pulling the normal exhaust sound i here just stops, then when i ease up on the gas exhaust comes back to life so i believe the engine isn't firing at that point because all engine sounds also quit so i need either spark, fuel, or air. hopefully not compression.

anyway puttin in boost guage tonight and hopefully plugs so i can see what is goin on. should i gap denso iridiums to .32 because stock they are .44-.40.

are there any easy ways to tighten all of the ic hoses i got most but some are hard to get to.

also could the stock selinoid for the wastegate be stuck just thinkin if so can i fix it

sorry for all the questions, thanks for the help

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
Abrupt cutoff of power under WOT is generally the domain of either spark or fuel, not compression.

My bet would be on worn plugs. It is actually surprising how well the TT can run with worn plugs EXCEPT for WOT. I had a plug that had opened up to ~.060 and the only symptom was an annoying hesitation at WOT that almost felt like something slipping in the drivetrain. Changed to NGK platinums gapped at .042 and the hesitation vanished completely.

Can't advise anything regarding irridium plugs.

Remember to spend the extra $20 for a compression gage or grab a loaner from autozone. It will only take an extra 10 minutes to get compression readings from all of your cylinders.

Good luck.

Clint

1 - 6 of 6 Posts