Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pretty simple question, we have one VR-4 (92) with a cap that looks like this:

and another VR-4 (93) with a cap that looks like this:

Upon inspection, this second cap is much more prevalent (stock caps have white lettering) but this first cap still seems to exist on some cars stock also. Any ideas on what cars/engine these caps went to straight out of the factory? Its interesting this discussion is nowhere to be found! I have spent some time looking at SL, Base, VR-4 variants for all the generations as well as the different engine types (DOHC 6G72, DOHC 6G72TT, SOHC, even 4G63, etc) and can find nothing that suggests the first cap was specific to any engine.

·
Compulsive 3/S buyer
133 Posts
The second cap came on many earlier model Mitsubishi’s when thinking back to all the 4G/ 6G single and dual cam models.
The first cap Is an aftermarket example of the oem cap. It’s an oil cap from an EVO. I like the later model caps so I have them on both my 4/6G engines especially when they start to leak from the oil seal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The second cap came on many earlier model Mitsubishi’s when thinking back to all the 4G/ 6G single and dual cam models.
The first cap Is an aftermarket example of the oem cap. It’s an oil cap from an EVO. I like the later model caps so I have them on both my 4/6G engines especially when they start to leak from the oil seal.

I have noticed that the EVO cap is similar in design to the first cap shown, that being said, it is interesting to see that they are still fundamentally different caps as the writing/design on them are not similar. I have been searching for the possibility these caps (of the first type) may actually be stock for a reason unknown as I have seen VR-4s with this same exact cap before. (maybe a difference between European, Japanese, US, or Canadian 3000s?)

(example pictures) here is one on a SOHC.

and here is one on a DOHC VR-4

1 - 4 of 4 Posts