Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed and aftermarket stereo and I'm confused if I have to do anything with the stock amp. I read that you need an adapter, but i've also read that you don't need to do anything. Right now, the stereo sounds terrible. I'm pretty sure my front speakers aren't in the best shape, but the entire system sounds worse than the stock hu. Can anyone clear up what I'm supposed to do with the stock amp? Thanks.

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
You are supposed to buy this, this will allow you to connect your PreOuts from your new head unit, to your Stock infinity amplifier. The stock infinity amp is pretty decent and has the crossover for your tweeters. Its worth keeping.

Amazon.com: Metra 70-7003 Radio Wiring Harness for Mitsubishi Amp Integr: Car Electronics

I have bought 3 1997 3000GTs in the last 5 years(an SL and 2 VR4s)... and each one had an owner who cut up the harness at the Amplifier. Please don't do that.

As for your speakers, they are probably rotted to pieces. Its time to replace them with something that's not made of paper.

·
Drives a 1997 VR4.
1,573 Posts
I'm not a stereo guy AT ALL, but this sounds GOOD.
I bought a some speakers (6.5 front and 6x9 back).
I used the old wires to install the new ones.
I have not installed the tweeters and I absolutely have no idea how to do it.
Tweeters came with crossovers (littl boxes thingy).

what do I do?

·
Verified Seller
696 Posts

what do I do?
Your options are:
1) return them and get coaxial speakers (tweeters mounted to the speaker for you)
2) get then professionally installed
3) I provide you a link to car audio diy and you spend a good amount of time doing your homework.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are supposed to buy this, this will allow you to connect your PreOuts from your new head unit, to your Stock infinity amplifier. The stock infinity amp is pretty decent and has the crossover for your tweeters. Its worth keeping.

Amazon.com: Metra 70-7003 Radio Wiring Harness for Mitsubishi Amp Integr: Car Electronics

I have bought 3 1997 3000GTs in the last 5 years(an SL and 2 VR4s)... and each one had an owner who cut up the harness at the Amplifier. Please don't do that.

As for your speakers, they are probably rotted to pieces. Its time to replace them with something that's not made of paper.
Does this adapter plug into the wire by the HU and convert it to the RCA jacks? Will i still wire up the speakers out of the standard plug on the new HU?

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
Unfortunately, I am not sure how you are getting sound out of your head unit, if you didn't buy that adapter.

Did you install the head unit yourself?

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
Also, are you sure you have an amp underneath your seat? You should have a circular 6 pin harness that was hooked up to your stock stereo. That is the cable that goes to your amplifier.

If you didn't hook up that 6 pin cable(which goes to your amp), I don't understand how you are getting sound.

If you do have that 6 pin cable, and the amp under your passenger seat.... then buy that metra kit that I linked above. the 4 preouts(green, white, purple, grey) connect to your current aftermarket headunit. The other side of that cable connects to the 6 pin cable, that goes to your amplifier.

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts

what do I do?
Are you using the original head unit? Or are you using an aftermarket?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a stock amp and it is connected. The 6 pin cable isn't connected right now, but i have ordered that adapter. When I get that adapter, do I leave the standard speaker connections (white, white with black, purple, etc) connected, or do the preouts take place of those wires, or work in conjunction with thm?

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
The new connectors dont have the the standard connections for the speakers, just the preout connections. The second included harness has connections for Power(red), illumination(orange), memory(yellow) and Amp notification(Blue).

Hook the blue wires together.

Do you have a power antenna that still works? I forgot which wire hooks up to that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My car is in the shop after water damage ruined the carpet and amp. The guy said he could bypass the amp since i have an aftermarket JVC stereo. I was worried but he said i would have the same quality as before. When i pick up the car ill ask what he did.

·
no speed limits here
3,438 Posts
When using that adapter, you use the pre-outs to the amp instead of the speaker wires from the new HU? Right? (I guess that's a dumb question)

What wire drives the power ant.? Blue (amp turn-on)?.

Thanks,

·
It's a dry heat!
462 Posts
I used the amp turn on wire to signal ant, I also put in a on/off switch in the blue ant wire since I rarely use the radio. The stock hu only put the ant up if the radio was used.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts