Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought a '92 VR4 and the "rebuilt" factory ECU is totally destroyed.

How much wiring is needed if I install a Link for an EVO I-III ?
I'm doing the Denso coil on plug conversion, so for sequential fire I'll be running 3 wires to the other coils regardless of which I choose.

Thanks,
- Matt

· Registered
727 Posts
There are a few NZ (and probably UK) users who have fitted an EvoLink, don't think any of them are on here though so you'll have to get in touch with them through faecesbook.

The older EvoLink plugin models used to only have 4 ignition & injector drivers (the new models may be different? But I doubt it). Not sure on the AEM.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Apparently, as box indicated, the Link for evo I-III that's mostly plug and play can't do sequential coil ignition, I'm beginning to understanding why so many people use other stuff now.
Not sure what I'm going to do now

· Science, bitch!
1992 VR4
965 Posts
What exactly are you planning for this car? A chrome ECU is fine for 99% of most builds that actually happen. AEM V2 absolutely has advantages over Chrome, and newer ecus (haltech, AEM infinity, etc) have even more advantages but require more work.

You should explain what your goals are and what budget you have for those goals. This isn’t a new platform and basically everything has been done before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
800-1000awhp would be a nice place to stop. It will obviously cost some money and take time to do get to that point, however I definitely don't want to have to replace the ECU multiple times.
I also understand that waste spark works okay for a lot of setups but it's very antiquated and there's no reason to keep it since I'm converting to coils.

I don't need things like boost by gear or ECU-based traction contorl, but I do want a good speed density capable setup. The Chrome option is lacking in that area to some extent and requiring another module for SD and it also only does waste spark.

· Science, bitch!
1992 VR4
965 Posts
800-1000awhp would be a nice place to stop. It will obviously cost some money and take time to do get to that point, however I definitely don't want to have to replace the ECU multiple times.
I also understand that waste spark works okay for a lot of setups but it's very antiquated and there's no reason to keep it since I'm converting to coils. This has me leaning back toward the AEM.

I don't need things like boost by gear or ECU-based traction contorl, but I do want a good speed density capable setup. The Chrome option is lacking in that area to some extent and requiring another module for SD and it also only does waste spark.
800-1000awhp is possible with chrome, but I agree that AEM and other advanced ecus are a better option at that power level so you don’t have to upgrade later.

Are you going to be doing the work yourself or farm out anything? As a fellow ‘92 VR4 owner of a 99% stock car when I purchased it, I can tell you that I’ve spent probably $10k just refreshing the whole car and I’m not done. I would guess that a proper 800-1000awhp build is going to run $20-30k+ (on top of what you paid for the car) depending on how much you do yourself. You would also be pushing the 2 bolt mains to limits that I don’t know if others have achieved. Are you planning on racing the car or is this more of a dyno queen/show off kinda build? Have you built a car to this level before? I’m genuinely just curious and not being snarky.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I do all my own work, with the exception of machine work on a block as I do not have machines to hone cylinders and such. I will probably do a 4 bolt and 6 speed swap before achieving my ultimate power goals. This is my first Japanese car I won't be immediately LS swapping ha

· Registered
727 Posts
I'm beginning to understanding why so many people use Haltech now.
Not sure what I'm going to do now
If you're prepared to go through the trouble of wiring a Haltech in, why don't you cancel the order for the Evo Link and just wire in a G4 Storm? Just buy a plug & pin kit and use your existing harness.

· Science, bitch!
1992 VR4
965 Posts
I do all my own work, with the excepetion of machine work on a block as I do not have machines to hone cylinders and such. I will probably do a 4 bolt and 6 speed swap before achieving my ultimate power goals. Yes I have built many vehicles in the past, although this is my first Japanese car I won't be immediately LS swapping ha
The 5 speed is stronger than the 6 speed. You’re going to need a built transmission either way though. Are you planning on going to a big single or some newer style turbos? For the stated power goal you’ll need to upgrade basically every system on the car.

· One fix at a time
9,760 Posts
The AEM V2 is on it’s way of getting phased out. I talked to one of the techs about it. Recently Holley bought out AEM so I don’t know what that means for their products now. I do know they were already outsourcing the repairs to a 3rd party for the V2 boxes.

I completely agree with you about wanting/preferring VE based smart ecus over the older injection time based setups. A FuelTech in a drag only application would be superior with an injection time based setup but the people actually racing their cars like that are few and far between. Definitely consider a Haltech Elite ecu.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The 5 speed is stronger than the 6 speed. You’re going to need a built transmission either way though. Are you planning on going to a big single or some newer style turbos? For the stated power goal you’ll need to upgrade basically every system on the car.

Yeah I agree the trans will need to be built either way. Twin GTX28R or GTX30R gen 2's was my plan.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts