Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92' VR-4, I was wondering if it had an amplifier from the factory, and if it does where is it located? I checked under the passenger seat and did not see anything. But there did appear to be something under the carpet. Any help is appreciated.

-pgilchri

·
Eat strawberries
855 Posts
If you got the factory amp it is under the passenger seat and it is a little black box about 10X6 inches. Don't bother looking anywhere else

·
Registered
209 Posts
so if the factory amp is under the passenger seat then whats that nifty silver box under the dash behind the headunit that has a wiring harness running to the headunit?for reference i have factory in dash cd in a 91 vr4

·
Eat strawberries
855 Posts
That nifty silver box is the turbo boost enhancement system. If you put a quarter into the side of it you can get 56 lbs of boost for 38 seconds. It also doubles as a Deep fryer! Sorry i haven't dealt with 1st gen 3000GT/stealths. I thought that the amp would be the same. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
209 Posts
got a roll of quarters?:D naw i was just checking to make sure i knew what that little silver box under the dash was....ya never know these days

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your help. I looked behind my deck and I didn't find a silver box (amplifier) I was thinking that maybe because I have the double DIN tape deck, the amp was built into the deck? Does anyone know if this is the case?

Thanks,
pgilchri

·
Eat strawberries
855 Posts
Well if you don't have the silver box and there isn't anything underneath the seat then YES technically the amp is in the radio. But, it is not the same as having an external amp. ALl that you basically have inside the radio is a computer chip that gives you the power.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took a quick look again and I didn't see a silver box. But I did see a gold box that was mounted upright back there. It did have wireing harnesses coming out of it...but I could not tell if the wires from the stereo were running to it. Does anyone know what this gold box does?

Thanks,
pgilchri

1 - 8 of 8 Posts