Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
USMC
5,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. Wrong section, so what, sue me:D ( This section gets more attention).

Anyways, I was wondering if I can keep my stock turbos and upgrade my fuel pump and injectors with a fuel regulator as well as other supporting mods to boost 18PSI. I want to work on the cosmetics on my car for now. I just want it to be fast enough, but not overly fast. I don't race:D

Thanks guys,
Trung

·
Registered
9,645 Posts
yes you can, only problem is that at 18 psi the turbos are horribly inefficient and will be blowing hot air into the engine. another thing is that they will only hold about 11psi to redline, so you would only hit that 18 psi for half a second then coast back and end up at 11 or 12psi or so depending on your car. it will net you some hp gain, but not really worth it. also gotta watch out for knock up there too.

·
3Si Corporate Shareholder
3,784 Posts
Pretty dangerous. Boosting above 15 is already slightly oustide of the efficiency range for the stock 9b's. Boosting too high will cause the stock ECU to retard the engine timing anyway. And as previously mentioned, watch out for that knock if you plan to do it anyway.

·
I am the 1.85% =
2,362 Posts
Sure you can boost that high, but as stated, it will not hold that boost very well. The other thing is that it will be dumping very hot air so you might not really notice the difference, more boost but substantially warmer. What you might look into is what I did (am doing) I put in an alcohol injection system. Even with the stock fuel system, I should be able to boost up to 17 or 18 with very very low, if not zero, knock. Of course you will need to datalog to make sure you are not knocking but alchy will lower the air temp substantially and add a little extra fuel.

·
I am the 1.85% =
2,362 Posts
PRODIGY3000 said:
Boosting too high will cause the stock ECU to retard the engine timing anyway.
Won't the ECU only pull the timing if the engine is knocking too much? I didn't think the ECU would pull the timing only because of high boost.

·
Banned
10,938 Posts
Boost will not cause the ecu to retard timing. As long as you upgrade the fuel system(Injectors, Fuel Pump, Fuel Controller.)

Just remember that the ECU can not adjust for injectors larger than 400cc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.