Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have stinky exhaust. Sometimes it emits white smoke too. What is the problem and what does it take to fix it, if it's a problem.

The car seems to run fine though. No backfiring or anything like I've read with other cars.

104,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please post a solution, not a joke. If you don't have a clue, then don't post. I already looked at that thread tonight before I even posted this.

Of course no offense, but I'm tired of reading jokes.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I dont know, I hear those fragrances really bring the ladies....Just imagine instead of "stinky white" smoke emitting from your exhaust; you could be the first to sport the new "springtime mist" scent pouring out of your muffler for all to enjoy:D
OKOK no more jokes:p seriously I would check your cat first. If it got hit (speedbump etc) or is just really old, the material inside of the cat can come loose and fuse to the rest of the material inside the cat, restricting airflow and definately smelling like burning shit. There are many reasons for the white smoke conditions but if the smell is noticeably different enough from normal for you to mention it in the first post, I'd bet the cat is your problem. Hope that helps.

·
Hellfire Master
2,666 Posts
White smoke generally means that you have some coolant getting into your cylinder or going into your exhaust and hitting the cat. The smell that you are getting backs this up. Your cat may be clogged as well.

Clogged cat Fix: Get a new one...

Coolant being burned: could be a bad turbo seal if its a turbo or a cracked/blown/leaking head gasket among other things. Do a compression test and check you coolant for oil and your oil for coolant, if its a turbo check the IC piping.

No jokes, All serious.

devilmanVISA

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it's a 93 SOHC, non turbo, so it could be the CAT. How much are they to clean out, or Replace???

·
Hellfire Master
2,666 Posts
Don't count out that head gasket. I would run a compression and leakdown just to be sure, and run a coolant system pressure check also to see if you have any leaks or places where coolant could get into the motor or exhaust. It could be that you have a cracked water jacket.

devilmanVISA

·
Boost Junkie
945 Posts
i have the stinky exhaust too. Smells like gas is pouring out the exhaust and over the driver side exhuast gets all black, dark black :( I have gutted precats and a test pipe, this isnt the cause is it? Does your car smell like a gas station too alphaproject?

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
Don't forget to take a look at your plugs. (start with the front ones that are easy to get at.) Plugs provide a good indication of how well the combustion process is happening in your cylinders. If the plugs are black/sooty (instead of light tan) then it means you are looking at the wrong end of the car for the problem.

Any differences between plugs is also a good warning that something is amiss in a particular cylinder.

PS - I agree with earlier post about possible head gasket / coolant problem. You can sometimes see this in a corroded / rusted spark plug from the coolant.

Clint

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
this could be your valve seals... white smoke is usually moisture in the engine somewhere. when does it stop smoking? how long does it smoke for? what does it smell like? if you can answer those, i can most likely give you a definative answer, or at least narrow it down for you.

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
valve seals => oil in combustion chamber => blue smoke

Clint

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
cbatters said:
valve seals => oil in combustion chamber => blue smoke

Clint
there have been cases of white smoke too. maybe he cant tell the difference. i need all the facts, and just pointing something else out. but you are correct, white is usually moisture in the engine.

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
vr-4wannabe

Good point about the color of the smoke - would not be the first time that a discussion went down the wrong path because the "wrong" color smoke was reported.

Clint

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
It is white for sure, not blue. I'd have to say it smells like a strong egg smell. Maybe like a stink bomb.

I just have no tools at all to check anything, so it would most likely have to go to a shop for an inspection. I'm hoping it doesn't cost alot to get fixed.

Someone is mentioning a blown head gasket. Does this have any other syptoms? The car runs fine otherwise. No backfiring or anything. Starts and drives perfectly.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
its your cat im almost positive. that would be the only thing that stinks like that. take it off, and put say a test pipe on. see if it still smokes. if you cant do that, find a fellow 3si member and ask to borrow his cat for like an hour or 2 and youll buy him lunch or something. then see if its that. or you could just gut your cat.

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
Not sure how a bad cat could be responsible for producing any white smoke...

BAD SMELL
The catalytic converter completes the combustion of any harmful combustable gasses before the are exhausted. I believe the stink you are referring to is caused by sulfur dioxide which is one of the gasses that the converter is supposed to reduce to safer gasses.

Simple dicussion about converters.

http://www.discountconverter.com/news/

For the first minute or two of operation the CATS are not hot enough to do their magic and it is "normal" for the car exhaust to smell different.

Note that a functioning cat can also mask the problem of unburned fuel and other contaminants in the exhaust but this raises the temperature of the CAT and shortens it's life.

If you state has emmissions controls / test, you should be able to go into just about any station and get a "pre-test" of your exhaust to see if your CATS are working corrrectly.

WHITE SMOKE
Please advise under what conditions you observe the white smoke.

BLOWN HEAD GASKET DETECTION

1. Compression test

2. Inspection of spark plug for signs of rust

3. Oil contamination in coolant

4. Coolant in the oil (lots of bubbles on the dip stick)

Clint

PS: Just re-read the thread and this is exacty what Devilman said to do....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts