Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Verified Seller
1,582 Posts
I've done the drill test and.... no signal.
I think that tells me the problem is the speedometer. It should have raised the speed on the speedometer.

That or the sensor is bad. The only way is to test the sensor to see if the the voltage increases like when I done my test on the speed sensor. If the test show the sensor is good. Then the speedometer is the problem.

·
Premium Member
6,886 Posts
I've done the drill test and.... no signal.
Without some qualifying factors, I don't think it tells you anything but that the problem still exists externally from the transmission.

What do you mean when you say no signal? The speedo doesn't work? you already knew that....

If you truly have no signal being generated, is the voltage always high? or always low?

·
Verified Seller
1,582 Posts
any progress?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm having the same problem. Getting 18 volts on pin three that plugs into the speed sensor. It looks like its supposed to be at 5 volts. Help.

·
Premium Member
6,886 Posts
I'm having the same problem. Getting 18 volts on pin three that plugs into the speed sensor. It looks like its supposed to be at 5 volts. Help.
Obviously not the same problem then... Don't think anyone has ever posted with those symptoms.
I'm wondering where you're finding 18 volts in a 12V system..? If you truly are seeing 18 volts, you need to find out where it's coming from, and how it's being stepped up. And check all your grounds... Something very weird is afoot if your reading is correct.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you RealMcCoy very much for pointing that out. I'm not very electrically inclined, and I was looking at the V~ symbol (AC voltage) instead of the V-.-.-. (DC Voltage) symbol on my multimeter. When I said I was having the same issue, I meant my speedometer is not working. You are right, that's not the exact same issue. I will be much more specific and I really appreciate the help.

Setting the multimeter to what I hope is the right setting, I'm now getting 11.7 on pin 1 (which is slightly lower than the 12.3 I'm getting right on the battery terminal - my battery is old and I don't drive the car much so I have to charge it frequently) and 8.9 on pin 3. That still seems higher than the 5 volts I should be reading.

I'm wondering if I should try to check the ECM or the Speedometer itself first.

Thank you again for the help.

·
Premium Member
6,886 Posts
Thank you RealMcCoy very much for pointing that out. I'm not very electrically inclined, and I was looking at the V~ symbol (AC voltage) instead of the V-.-.-. (DC Voltage) symbol on my multimeter. When I said I was having the same issue, I meant my speedometer is not working. You are right, that's not the exact same issue. I will be much more specific and I really appreciate the help.

Setting the multimeter to what I hope is the right setting, I'm now getting 11.7 on pin 1 (which is slightly lower than the 12.3 I'm getting right on the battery terminal - my battery is old and I don't drive the car much so I have to charge it frequently) and 8.9 on pin 3. That still seems higher than the 5 volts I should be reading.

I'm wondering if I should try to check the ECM or the Speedometer itself first.

Thank you again for the help.
Pin 1 (the Black/white wire) should be 12 volts... Pin 2 (black)is ground, and pin 3(yellow/white) is the 5V reference coming from the ECU.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts