Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Tuning 101
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i had the brake shudder problem... turned them, that fixed that, but i still has steering wheel shudder after about 60mph its not real bad but its annoying and i can barely feel it in the pedals to... any ideas???

also... its cold now and sometimes when its not cold i get this woodpecker sound comoing from the engine bay (sounds liek the left) from 2000rpms to about 2750 rpms.... sound like when you put a piece of cardboard in a fan but metallic... hard to describe...

thanks

·
Spd Kills your bank acc.
1,151 Posts
just to say i'm not a that skilled(yet) in the cars. but from what i have found is the nocking noise is your lifters. i was running 5w30 because of the cold, and it got worse. I switched back to 10w30 oil, and put in Oil honey or Upper lube. and it got rid of the noise. For the steering wheel problem, have someone check your power steering pump and make sure that is working properly.

-Joe

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
The woodpecker noise does sound like a lifter problem. As mentioned before, if you changed viscosity of your oil, go back to what you were running before.

As for the 60mph "shudder" go get your wheels rebalanced. I doubt there is a problem with your power steering.

·
Tuning 101
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how do i check to see if my oil pump is good or not?

also

its getting cold now and someitmes when i first drive it hear this thump, its continous, like when you hit a small bump in the road but its gets faster with speed and slows down with the speed, its not the road.... sounds llke its coming form the center but then the left somtimes the right (front)... its really weird, dont have a clue whats going on ... thanks

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thump

Sounds like you may have a bad CV joint.

As for the lifter tick, there are feeder tubes to the hydraulic lifers that feed the oil. After 40k or so, these can get gummed up. You can usually get rid of lifter tick using Rislone w/ every oil change (or every other) and a good oil filter that doesn't allow the oil to flow back when you stop the car ... the K&N is excellent and available at Advance for about $10.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oil pressure

FYI . I lost oil pressure, went to zero after car set for 2 hours. Checked and fretted but found problem was a plugged OIL FILTER. I had less than 600 miles on the oil and filter. I recommend that you change your oil filter at first sign of low oil pressure (cheap insurance). If that isn't it then you have only lost a couple of bucks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry it has taken me so long to answer.:(
The manual lists the following possiable causes for low oil pressure.
1 Engine oil level to low (go figure)
2 Oil pressure switch faulty (gauge will still read ok)
3 Oil filter clogged ( no bypass in engine if filter clogs -no oil pressure-)
4 Oil pump gears or cover worn. (should be a gradual thing)
5 Thin or diluted engine oil
6 Oil relief valve stuck open. (I never did find the relief valve)
7 Excessive bearing clearance (smells like big bucks)
My mechanic insisted that I install a mechanical pressure gauge in place of the oil sender switch. It showed the same the gauge in the car. He says at a garage that is the first thing the mechanics do. It will also give you a reading in pound instead of tick marks.
Good luck on finding your problem

·
Registered
449 Posts
to check to see if your oil pump is working or not, hook up a manuel oil pressure gauge into where the sensor would be. on a 94 VR-4, i know that it is right above the oil feeder tube for the rear turbo on the back side of the motor above the CV axle. mine read 28PSI at normal cranking so if yours is close to that then you should be fine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts