Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Working on diagnosing slight play in the steering system. After installing a NRG QR and Momo wheel a small amount of play or slop has become much more pronounced.

Recently nut and bolt checked the whole front end. Inner and outer tie rods are fresh and tight. Got under the car and confirmed the play is before the steering rack by having someone wiggle the wheel with hands on each tie rod and there was no movement or play.

Crawled under the dash to check the steering intermediate shaft and the top spline joint and u-joint are tight and turn with the wheel.

This only leaves the u-joint on the other side of the fire wall and spline joint to the rack or the rack itself.

has anyone had the intermediate shaft go bad? and is there any pinion adjustment on the steering rack? Going to dive back in there later today. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,202 Posts
Subbed for responses as well since I have the same setup and will be freshening up the steering and suspension. Just to confirm, are you using a Momo hub too in conjunction with the NRG QR? Perhaps the metal where the bearings seat have galled? I have only had to apply grease/lubricant once over the years.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Subbed for responses as well since I have the same setup and will be freshening up the steering and suspension. Just to confirm, are you using a Momo hub too in conjunction with the NRG QR? Perhaps the metal where the bearings seat have galled? I have only had to apply grease/lubricant once over the years.
Yep, Momo hub to the NRG QR which is in great working order. The connection at the QR is confirmed solid by putting vice grips on the steering shaft under the dash and measuring sweep as much as the steering wheel turns in degrees.

Its beyond the rubber insulator boot at the firewall where the shaft motion and rack output do not match. to the best of my knowledge there are 3 points of inspection:
-The u-joint in a rubber boot outside the firewall
-the clamp to splined pinion shaft of the rack
-lastly the mythical "pinion adjustment" in the rack that looks like a giant hex socket. Removal is described in the rack rebuild wiki in step 13 linked below.

https://www.3si.org/wiki/index.php/Power_Steering_Rack_Rebuild_Guide

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good news is the splined clamp to the pinion shaft appears to be very slightly loose allowing the steering intermediate shaft to wobble slightly. Just have to figure out how to get in there to snug it up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts