Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Skeptic
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crutchfield says the Axxess ASWC does not work with our cars. Is that true? Why? Reviews suggest that the PAC SWI-JACK is harder to install, has to be programmed and is slow to respond, so I'd rather go with the ASWC.

·
Skeptic
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I provided Matt Calderon (Lead Tech at Metra Electronics) with the information in this thread and he said the ASWC works only with resistance setups ("We will have to get into it if it is truly data. I can only help you if it is resistive."). Bummer!

·
Super Moderator
4,471 Posts
Peripheral SWIX

·
Skeptic
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Peripheral’s PESWIX: is the same as PAC SWIX (only rebadged).
Is that really our best (if not only) option? As I mentioned in my first post, reviews of the PAC SWI-JACK are troubling...

·
Super Moderator
4,471 Posts
I think the swix was first…

lol Good thing the steering wheel control is not resistive ... more connections in the clock spring to fail.

Seems to me there’s been radios sold that have the option to have the steering wheel controls work for a while. No interest in the subject other than knowing it’s been offered.

As far as looking for mitsu fitment there’s an 06 mitsu infinity radio that still works with 91 steering wheel controls (have to switch radio plugs) so the basic compatibility goes from the 91 3k radio – 06 outlander infinity radio.

·
Super Moderator
4,471 Posts
Crutchfield says the Axxess ASWC does not work with our cars. Is that true? Why? Reviews suggest that the PAC SWI-JACK is harder to install, has to be programmed and is slow to respond, so I'd rather go with the ASWC.
We also fought with Crutchfield for at least 4 years about them saying 5" speakers fit our cars and the 6.5 didn't. Their credibility is questionable.

Did you google mitsu and the ASWC? Because the car is not a really dodge?

Try the montero thru 06 Diamante thru 05, outlander thru 06 evo thru 06. (not eclipse) with the ASWC

·
JNS Engineering
2,502 Posts
As I mentioned in this thread I installed the PAC-SWI-JACK along with my Kenwood DNX-7160 head unit.

Hardware installation is pretty simple. For my Kenwood I had to hook up two wires, one to the Kenwood harness (Blue/Yellow IIRC) and the Yellow one goes to Pin3 of the stock connector harness. I believe I cut a terminal from a mini fuse and soldered it to the end of the wire so I could just plug it into the stock harness. I'm pretty sure I just had to cut the unused wire loops at the PAC-SWI-JACK.

Programming is not that hard although you do need access to the button on the unit and I made the connections a little short. You have to set the rotary switch to the position corresponding to your Unit Brand. The PAC-SWI-JACK interprets the pulses from the stock wire and sends the appropriate pulses to the aftermarket unit. Programming is essentially having the unit learn pulse strings for each button push.

I ended up with Mute, Vol up/down, Source Up/Down, and Track Up/Down. All of it has worked without issue except volume. My Kenwood expects discrete volume switch presses and I find that I can't press too quickly. About once per 0.5 second is the limit for the device. This is a small limitation though. The unit has never lost programming or misbehaved in any way since I installed it early this year.

·
¡ıɐɥ 'o
3,925 Posts
I have the PAC-SWI ALP (the oldest version, alpine stereos only) and it was a 3 wire job (1 for signal, 1 power, 1 ground)

Then you program the box. 30 minutes install time at most, if you suck at this stuff.

I made MODE = MUTE and CHG = source select

·
Super Moderator
4,471 Posts
If this ASWC works that would be the ticket....

·
Skeptic
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last week I worked with Metra to confirm that the Axxess AWSC is not compatible with the serial control channel used in our cars and yesterday ordered a PAC SWI-JACK ($36 shipped!) after reading the above testimonials.

·
JNS Engineering
2,502 Posts
Last week I worked with Metra to confirm that the Axxess AWSC is not compatible with the serial control channel used in our cars and yesterday ordered a PAC SWI-JACK ($36 shipped!) after reading the above testimonials.
A good choice I think. There's a long history of this and the PAC SWI-X working in our cars. The X is designed with an IR interface to the aftermarket radio making it somewhat universal but if you can select from a handful of brands (including JVC and Kenwood) you can use the JACK version for a direct interface.

·
Skeptic
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The PAC SWI-JACK works perfectly with my JVC KW-AVX640. Installation was a breeze, programming was straightforward, there is no perceptible delay (the HU responds immediately when a button is pressed), and holding the volume up or down button does work (I do have to wait ~0.5 seconds before pressing a different button).

My JVC has no phono jack, so I instead soldered the adjacent blue/yellow wire to the blue/yellow wire from the radio. The only other wires used are red (switched power), black (ground) and yellow (steering wheel control wire, which is yellow/white in the otherwise empty six-pin connector). It's nice that no stock wires were cut for any aspect of my HU replacement (mostly thanks to the Metra 70-7003 harness).

Radio Select Switch = 2
Version Number = 5

Here is the mapping I chose:
Code:
Function   = Button
--------   - ------
Vol Up     = Vol +
Vol Down   = Vol -
Mute/Power = Mute
Preset Up  = M CAL (also works as Previous Track)
Source     = AUTO M
Seek Up    = 
Seek Down  =
Select     = 
Band       = AM/FM (also works as Next Track)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Funny I just was watching a dvd/cd etc double din for my 94' 3000gt that claims steering wheel controls, bluetooth , touch screen, tv etc. all for 99.00 , hard to believe if ya ask me. I did a PAK in my 02 Dodge Ram & got through it alright w/a Kenwood deck. If this other unit isnt a shitter like I think it is, im gonna buy it & give it a shot !
Opinions greatly appreciated :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts