Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok So all my friends do autoX and have been calling me out. Me being me, I dont want to go out there untill the car is setup at its very best. I want to setup my car to kick some ass.

From what I see with autoX the car needs to be able to change directions quickly, as your turning left then right constantly.

I recently drove an evo 9 MR and what struck me the most was the night and day difference in the agility of the steering.

My question is is there an aftermarket quicker ratio rack for our cars?

If not has anyone ever swapped the rack from an evo unto our cars?

I think it should work, I want to try it. Its basically the same rack, just different mounting, and obviously a quicker ratio.

Does anyone have any specs on what our stock ratio is? I searched the manual and couldnt find anything.

The evo steering racks are quiet expensive so I dont want to buy one and its the same ratio as the stocker.

:(

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Ok Found some info Finally!

It seems the base 3000GT (what i have ) has a sterring ratio of 16.95:1

2nd Gen 3000GT base - 16.95:1
2nd gen 3000GT VR4s - 14.7:1
97 DSM GSX - 14.56:1
Mitsu Evo 9 - 13.0:1
S2000 CR - 13.8:1
BMW 330 ZHP - 13.7:1
BMW E46 M3 - 15.4:1

And a car that has horrible steering response
240SX - 17.2:1

From these specs its safe to conclude a couple things, the smaller the steering ratio the quicker the steering response.

The Evo has the smallest steering ratio of the bunch and from experience, it has a very VERY sensitive steering, just a slight twitch of the hands will put it in the next lane. I didnt realise how good it actually was! In comparison to its competitors

Seems like the VR4 rack is an easy upgrade for a NA, but the evo rack would be the better swap as suspected.

I think this would really help with autoX

Source:
1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT 2dr GT SL Manual specifications
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer 4dr Sdn Evolution IX Manual specifications

Now for the fun part, time to buy a steering rack, adapt it to work on my car and test my theory :D

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Comparrison shots
Evo rack:

3000GT rack:

They look very simular I think they might be interchangeable!!!!

Which means this would be a KICK ASS mod for a 3S that wants to kill at autoX

Im gonna try it and post my reviews of it. Once i do and makke a write up of how to install it.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think this setup + a smaller steering wheel, and later coilovers with pillow ball mounts, more chassis stiffness, combined with my weight distribution mods and also my LSD will make the car corner like an animal.

And I can finally take it to my STi Friends :D

702 Posts
as long as it is mounted right, and it is wide enough to reach the knuckle it should work out, but im not sure that evos are as wide as a 3s, check that out first.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as long as it is mounted right, and it is wide enough to reach the knuckle it should work out, but im not sure that evos are as wide as a 3s, check that out first.
They are thinner, cars. But not much. Im thinking though that I can lengthen the rod ends worse case scenario and adapt it to work.

Or get a machine shop fabricate a longer rod, and then thread it.

Ill know more when I have the rack in hand.

I think i stumbled on the ultimate handling mod for a 3S.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just As I suspected the impreza Sti, has a much less responsive steering. I drove my friends 07 STi (the competition) Right after the evo 9

The ratio for it is 15.2:1

So theoretically with just the stock VR4 rack which should be a direct drop in ill out orner him.

His advantage though is relentless traction so he can flat out carry more speed into the corners than I can ever dream to FWD.

His brakes are also on another level, I have stock VR4 brakes which I think are an adequate match to him but we will see.

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
I think what you will find is that the increased speed at which the front wheels on your FWD car turn whil still putting down power will make it handle like crap and understeer like a bitch. I had the same feeling about my Pontiac GTO which has a much higher ratio then the VR4, but when I took it to the autocross, it would bounce on the front tires when I went to change direction and the weight transferred. With a quicker ratio, the effects would have been worse. Sometimes they design the ratio to make the car safer so people dont overdrive the car. Even with the ratio on the VR4, with very rapid left to right and back to left excercises at high speed, the car will understeer when going back left making the car keep skidding to the right before it goes left. You might have to add alot of camber and really sticky tires to make this work and lighten the front end.
I feel the ratio on the VR4 is perfect for a stock weight car that moves just quick enough for the available traction and weight transfer.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got you wraith.

I think im gonna try it this way, ill get a VR4 rack first, and install that and test it out. Then later ill get the evo rack and use that, when I have the coiovers and tires to support it.

Ill keep both and see which one runs better.

You make a good point about the grip from left to right. Evos turn so quickly that they are constantly lfiting a wheel off the road in the corners.

Not sure how this will play out for a FWD.

But yeah I gotta get something better than whats on there right now, as it is the steering is just too slow, the wheel itself is also too big.

·
The dark shall be with us
7,444 Posts
you need to make your rear as light as possible. that way when you change directing quickly, your car will have some over steer.

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
I think this would be really interesting, looking forward to hearing about the results. People with highly modded track VR4s that are lightened would probably like to have a quicker ratio rack available thats almost a bolt in.

Sam

·
Banned
3,562 Posts
I've been thinking about this recently myself. My Boxster S has handling that is out of this world compared to my TT, and I want to narrow the gap. Granted, weight is a big part of it, but I think the stock rack sucks. There's no feel at all when on center, and I hate it. Already got a slightly smaller wheel, and it helps with quickness, but overall feel hasn't improved.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah the evo has the sickest steering ever, its worth the try.

Im doing this for sure.

I might start off with just the vr4 rack

·
The Student
1,214 Posts
Realize that a smaller ratio means less total steering movement lock to lock. So with our longer cars, that increases our turning radius by a bit.

·
Need more TORQUE!
209 Posts
Realize that a smaller ratio means less total steering movement lock to lock. So with our longer cars, that increases our turning radius by a bit.
Wow didnt know that...Dont Evos have a big turning radius for their size?

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Doesnt matter the pros far outweigh the cons. Drive an evo MR and you'll see what im saying and why this is worth it.

I dont think the stiffer steering will be that much noticeable, and if it is we can run a larger steering pump, or adapt the one from the evo to work, it would be a simple mater of fabricating a mounting bracket, if the evo pump is different from the 3s pump, and running a different accessory belt.

Thats all text book stuff, pretty simple.

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
I'd be interested in tightening up the on center feel, but I have a feeling replacing my rack will do that...

I'm in to see how this works out.

·
The Student
1,214 Posts
Yeah im in for details, Im interested in it as well.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts