Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys think that the a Stealth R/T TT or VR-4 is to much of a car for a first car? I'll probably drive one of my parents cars for a few months and then buy my own. I'm looking for something quick (not to fast), good looking, good handling, and somewhat reliable. I was looking at a 2g Eclipse GSX but crankwalk and the price is a problem.

·
Registered
376 Posts
as long as your a responsible kid...and you know your limits...i say no...it's not too much.. I'm 16 and i'll be having a vr-4 in a while...and i can't wait.
used 1st gen vr4's are much better (imo) than 2nd gen GSX's and they are a lot cheaper to purchase...maintain...that's another story.

good luck with your car hunt...i think you can handle a vr4/TT if you know your limits and won't abuse them..

m.s.

·
Native
3,894 Posts
As a first car a VR4 or TT is the WORST CHOICE YOU COULD MAKE IN THE WORLD!!!!

I don't care how much you THINK you'd respect the car or how careful you SAY you would be. What ACTUALLY happens would be totally different I guarantee.

Wait til you've at least had a car for a few years to get your bad driving skill bugs worked out. No Joke, the ability to avoid an accident coming at you is just as important as the ability to avoid accidents that are your fault.

I got a 2 on my IL driving test, which is damn near perfect. But before I was 18 I wrecks (one my fault $4000 on the family van OUCH, and one wasn't) I think that you should wait til you have enough on road experience to do the stuff that a TT/VR4 will allow you to do, but handle adverse situations better!!

·
Native
3,894 Posts
Honestly, if you don't believe me, go over to www.ls1.com and keep any eye on their BS forum. At LEAST twice a month there'll be a thread about some kid whose dad bought him an SS or T/A and how he wrecked it and is getting an old beater now. So many F-Bodies are lost to young, inexperienced drivers!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Comparing a 3S to a F-Body is like comparing apples to oranges. 3S is a AWD somewhat heavy turbo car while an F-Body is a light(er) RWD torquey V8. Not quite the same in terms of safety and danger level.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Face it, you are looking at a car that lays the law down when it comes f-bodies. Its not the handling of the car, I know people who could drive a rwd torque monster better than someone in an awd car. The reality is that the car has more horsepower you will ever need to get from point a to point b, and that the speed and your inexperience is whats going to kill you, not the car.

·
In charge
1,814 Posts
I'd wouldn't recommend a TT of any type as anyones first car. I dont care about their age. Wraith has it right. Much better to wait. I know they are awsome cars but your better off waiting till you have a few years experience on the street before diving into one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright well it looks like its back to deciding what I want as a first car. I thought I had it figured out but I'll take suggestions from anyone. No DSMs either. . .

·
Registered
376 Posts
well..then i guess me and you should wait until 35 yrs. old to purchase a vr4 with around 400k miles on it..or is on it's fifth engine then....seems that's what everybody thinks is the best thing to do..:rolleyes:

·
Only Tonic is Chronic
1,549 Posts
mustangs suck said:
well..then i guess me and you should wait until 35 yrs. old to purchase a vr4 with around 400k miles on it..or is on it's fifth engine then....seems that's what everybody thinks is the best thing to do..:rolleyes:
Well, actually the first thing you should do is get an education, Because you say "you and I" Not "Me and you" Second, any car with that amount of power, isnt a good Idea to own when you are 16 or 17...and dude, I am only 19, and own a RT. Third, the insurance is going to Rape you, or didnt you think about that?
My advice, get a SL, RT or ES and make sure you EVEN like the car..yes believe it or not, there are other cars out there, but hey thats just my .02$

·
20 yr owner
1,867 Posts
dude get a hunk of shit beater for like 6 to 9 months,
wreck a few times/trow trash all through it/grow up and 9 months
later get the vr-4. You'll epreciate it more.

But definetly get one!!:cool:

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Why don't you get a beater and give it some balls while you are learning to drive? I started out with an '81 wagoneer that barely made it back to my house. We had to fill the radiator every other hour. The thing leaked more oil than I put in. But after three years it was a true sleeper. I had a 360 v8 in it, and everyone thought it was some pos until i put half of my tires on the pavement, and was gone before the smoke settled. No one is saying not to get a stealth, get a sohc, thats a little less power, and almost as good handling.
Now all of you sohc owners don't flame me, I drive an rt n/a, but I do know the difference between my car and a tt is night and day.
The eclipse is really a nice car, but its not a race car, my sister is looking for a car, but isn't the most experience driver and I would suggest a saturn or an eclipse. i realize that you have a bit of pride, so I wouldn't expect you to drive a saturn.
Hey, if you want a stealth/3kgt, go for it, hey I will sell you mine if you give me enough money, but don't say we didn't warn you when you are being scraped off the windshield of the van that belongs to the lady that you just sent to the hospital.
If you buy one and never get a ticket or into an accident, more power to ya, but statistics say that you are writing a death wish.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Redstorm said:

Well, actually the first thing you should do is get an education, Because you say "you and I" Not "Me and you" Second, any car with that amount of power, isnt a good Idea to own when you are 16 or 17...and dude, I am only 19, and own a RT. Thrid, the insurance is going to Rape you, or didnt you think about that?
My advice, get a SL, RT or ES and make sure you EVEN like the car..yes believe it or not, there are other cars out there, but hey thats just my .02$

Your attempt at a somewhat amusing response utterly failed..

First, Sorry i am not grammar king when i am posting on a forum about cars.

Second, Good for you..i'm glad you can own a car.

Third, You are in need of an education as well....since Third is spelled incorrectly....i'd hate to see you try spelling multi-syllable words....and oh yes...i have checked out the insurance..it's going to be a blast paying 320 a month...believe me..when i get mine.. that will be pocket change...so no..actually your favorite past time of being raped...shall not be happening to me.

Thanks for your advice...i will disregard it as soon as possible.

m.s.

·
Only Tonic is Chronic
1,549 Posts
mustangs suck said:

and oh yes...i have checked out the insurance..it's going to be a blast paying 320 a month...believe me..when i get mine.. that will be pocket change...so no..actually your favorite past time of being raped...shall not be happening to me.

Thanks for your advice...i will disregard it as soon as possible.

m.s.
What the Hell are you talking about?? Pocket change? You will be paying $3840 a year for insurance:eek: and that is assumeing that you have a clean record by then, and you mantain a clean record for as long as you own the car. Then you have the actual price of the car on top of that, plus repair and upkeep and mods if you so chose.That just doesnt make any sense to me, why not wait a few years and save like 2 grand a year on the insurance. But, I would also like to know how that is gonna be Pocket change, cause Whatever you are doing, I want in;)

·
Registered
376 Posts
well..maybe not "pocket change" but i'll have no problem paying for all of it....i'll be making anywhere from 110-270k a year...starting in about 8 months....(the time i plan to purchase a vr4) so i guess i'll have a good 10 months of experience of driving a pos before hitting the road in a beast....but i don't think it's necessary to have TONS of experience.....just know how to take it easy....and not go over your limits...self control...and common sense....

m.s.

·
Only Tonic is Chronic
1,549 Posts
mustangs suck said:
i'll be making anywhere from 110-270k a year...starting in about 8 months
m.s.
Your gonna be making 110-270k a year while you are still in High School...Please explain, Because if I Dont do it, Someone is gonna raise the BS Flag on that one.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.