Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Starts then dies

398 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Jarmk 
#1 ·
I have a 91 stealth es (dohc na) and I just swapped a 94 engine in the car, the engine starts up just fine sounds good then it dies after a few seconds. So far I have replaced: IAC, PTU, MFI, TPS, CAS, fuel pressure regulator. I have confirmed fuel pressure at the rail and I am kinda losing my mind over this issue. I have also replaced the ECU a year ago when I was troubleshooting some of the issues with the last engine. Please help, capacitors look a little weird but it was a remanned board and doesn’t look different from when I got it and it worked on the last engine.

#2 ·
If you transferred and retained the optical CAS, then it is probable that you need to advance it temporarily until you can set proper base ignition timing. Similar deal with base idle.

Do not throw parts at it. Diagnose and test. Post your actual findings.

-sent from my Galaxy S22 Ultra

#3 ·
I posted all of the parts because most of them are parts that I replaced for the last engine or parts I pulled off a 92 in a junk yard because it was super cheap and good to have a second of like the cas but overall just kinda lost, last time this persisted it was clearly the ECU because the capacitors were clearly blown. So you are suggesting that advancing the timing might help clear this issue? Because it is a new engine is it requiring an adjustment in timing for the ECU or what is the process that would require that? It is almost as if everything just shuts off as I still have fuel pressure at the rail when it does shut off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.