Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1991 3000gt VR-4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I’m on my third 3000gt and I can’t get enough of them. However I’m encountering a problem I’ve never seen before. When I try starting the car, the starter partially cranks but the car doesn’t actually turn over at all. I can hear the starter trying to do something, but I get no start. I just replaced it with a brand new starter and no change. Battery is new and is not the problem, even tried jumping it. Unlike others that have posted, my dash lights don’t turn off or anything. I still have power everywhere, car just doesn’t want to turn over. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
1,089 Posts
So it turns over, but weak?

You need to check the grounds and power wire from battery to starter. It goes into a loom but you can always replace with a new wire outside the loom (as i have done). Also check the voltage while cranking and see if it drops excessively.

·
Registered
1991 3000gt VR-4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it turns over, but weak?

You need to check the grounds and power wire from battery to starter. It goes into a loom but you can always replace with a new wire outside the loom (as i have done). Also check the voltage while cranking and see if it drops excessively.
I mis-explained it my bad. So when I turn the key, I can hear the starter making a whirring noise. (No other way to describe it) but it doesn’t turn over at all

·
Registered
108 Posts
sounds like the starter gear isn't engaging the flywheel cogs, could be a bad starter even though it's new. That has happened before.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
1,089 Posts
I mis-explained it my bad. So when I turn the key, I can hear the starter making a whirring noise. (No other way to describe it) but it doesn’t turn over at all
Ah, if the starter is spinning with no resistance then yeah, its not meshing with the flywheel. Could be a bad starter or a flywheel issue, but the latter is less likely. What did the old starter do before you replaced it, same thing?

·
Registered
1991 VR4
1,089 Posts
Yes old starter made the same exact noise
Assuming it is installed correctly, you might need to check the flywheel. Can you pull the starter and inspect the teeth?

·
Registered
1991 3000gt VR-4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Assuming it is installed correctly, you might need to check the flywheel. Can you pull the starter and inspect the teeth?
Yes I can try that. Is there any chance it could be a fuel issue? It would still try and crank even if it was? I haven’t heard the hum from the fuel pump since the problem began.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
1,089 Posts
If the starter is definitely spinning and the engine is not turning over, its because the starter is not engaging the flywheel. Could be missing/damaged teeth, although typically you hear a grinding noise from that. It could also be that the starter gear is not extending out to mesh with the flywheel teeth, but it would be strange if two different starts did the exact same thing... You could also bench test the starter when you pull it out.

A fuel issue would be unrelated to the starter spinning but not turning over the engine. Note that these cars dont prime and the fuel pump only turns on when you are cranking.

·
Registered
1991 3000gt VR-4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the starter is definitely spinning and the engine is not turning over, its because the starter is not engaging the flywheel. Could be missing/damaged teeth, although typically you hear a grinding noise from that. It could also be that the starter gear is not extending out to mesh with the flywheel teeth, but it would be strange if two different starts did the exact same thing... You could also bench test the starter when you pull it out.

A fuel issue would be unrelated to the starter spinning but not turning over the engine. Note that these cars dont prime and the fuel pump only turns on when you are cranking.
Okay thanks for the advice. So you think it would be another faulty starter? Or the flywheel is the issue?

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,358 Posts
Just for clarity the car with starter engagement problem is one listed under your avatar being a VR4 manual transmission not an automatic transmission, Right? Reason I ask is there is a difference in starter reach between the manual and automatic cars.

·
Registered
1991 3000gt VR-4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just for clarity the car with starter engagement problem is one listed under your avatar being a VR4 manual transmission not an automatic transmission, Right? Reason I ask is there is a difference in starter reach between the manual and automatic cars.
They never made a VR4 with an automatic to my knowledge

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,358 Posts
They never made a VR4 with an automatic to my knowledge
Sorry, about asking question I just wasn’t sure it was a manual trans car since I didn’t know by you saying “my third 3000gt” was the one listed in your avatar.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
1,089 Posts
Okay thanks for the advice. So you think it would be another faulty starter? Or the flywheel is the issue?
Well either way you have to remove the starter to confirm i believe... When you pull the starter, you can inspect the flywheel and you can bench test it to make sure its extending and otherwise functioning as it should.

·
Registered
1991 3000gt VR-4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well either way you have to remove the starter to confirm i believe... When you pull the starter, you can inspect the flywheel and you can bench test it to make sure its extending and otherwise functioning as it should.
Okay thank you, I’m going to pull it tomorrow

·
Registered
1991 3000gt VR-4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Something new that has arisen is when I try and crank, I get the same sound, and the speedo jumps around up and down the dial. Not sure if that means anything but it didn’t do that before

·
Registered
1991 VR4
1,089 Posts
Something new that has arisen is when I try and crank, I get the same sound, and the speedo jumps around up and down the dial. Not sure if that means anything but it didn’t do that before
Sounds like an electrical problem. IIRC the speedo wire comes off the front of the transmission; i think you can see it looking down in the engine bay... that might be difficult to trace.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey everyone. I’m on my third 3000gt and I can’t get enough of them. However I’m encountering a problem I’ve never seen before. When I try starting the car, the starter partially cranks but the car doesn’t actually turn over at all. I can hear the starter trying to do something, but I get no start. I just replaced it with a brand new starter and no change. Battery is new and is not the problem, even tried jumping it. Unlike others that have posted, my dash lights don’t turn off or anything. I still have power everywhere, car just doesn’t want to turn over. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you.
Sounds like an electrical problem. IIRC the speedo wire comes off the front of the transmission; i think you can see it looking down in the engine bay... that might be difficult to trace.
All these answers are correct.
The starter is two devices. The large cylinder is the starter motor and the smaller add on is the solenoid. When you turn the key the solenoid throws the gear to mesh with the flywheel and engages the motor to turn the flywheel. When you hear the WRRR it is the motor spinning but not engaged. recheck the mounting of the new motor. Many cars have shims that need to be replaced in the right place for a god alignment. . While it is out use jumper cables to test the operation but be sure to apply voltage to both The solenoid has a real hard snap when it throws and keep a foot on the motor when it torques up.

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
This may be completely out of whack and I'm no mechanic by a long shot but I used to have a Rover that did that. I'd put the mutt of a thing in first and rock it back and forth. Then something would go 'click' and it would start.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts