Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 94 VR-4 which included some upgrades.
Is there a Member or shop around St. Louis That could look at the car and tell me if everything looks ok or if something needs replaced or is going out. I just started with this type of car and really have no Idea about cars but would love to learn if there is a member around the area that doesn't mind showing a new guy the ins and outs of these fine cars. if there are no members around can someone suggest a nice shop that can look at it for me. as far as I know it has nothing wrong with it but I would like someone with experiance with this car to take a look.

HKS intake
Stillen Down pipe
Greddy spec II boost control
3" Exhaust
Magnaflow Cat
Roll Bar

·
Former VR-4 Owner
2,476 Posts
u might want to check out www.us3s.org

there are quite a few stl members floating around

check out the midwest section for the april 22nd meet also :)
we have 70+ cars signed up already

if u need help and ideas IM me jerggy13 on aim and i can at least point you in the right direction

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey man thanks Ill check out the other site and Ill probably show up on the 22nd at Hooters just not sure about going to the track with my car yet. anyway thanks for the help

·
Former VR-4 Owner
2,476 Posts
yeah there are going to be a lot of peeps who are not racing.........hell im going just for the hell of it :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool then we will definitly see you there. Dont mind racing just want to get everything running right and learn the shifter before I start running the car hard. Do you know what psi is safe to run through the VR-4 with no internal engine improvements? I have a boost controler but not sure how to set it up right. I know what everything does just not sure what to set everything at. like boost and gain etc.. now I push 13psi but would like 15 or higher. any suggestions?

·
Former VR-4 Owner
2,476 Posts
Cactis said:
cool then we will definitly see you there. Dont mind racing just want to get everything running right and learn the shifter before I start running the car hard. Do you know what psi is safe to run through the VR-4 with no internal engine improvements? I have a boost controler but not sure how to set it up right. I know what everything does just not sure what to set everything at. like boost and gain etc.. now I push 13psi but would like 15 or higher. any suggestions?
on stock turbos and intercoolers and nothing else done, i think 14-15psi is the max before you start to get knock. if you get larger injectors and a SAFC or equivilant, you can turn the boost up a tad. but then you run the issuses of heat soaking your stock intercoolers, and then again getting knock.

if i were you i would start with an open element airfilter, downpipe, and kill all the pre cats. and go from there and have fun with it :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an HKS intake,
Stillen Downpipe,
Magnaflow Cat,
gutted pre cat,
3" exhaust from the downpipe and
a Greddy prof spec II boost controler.
I was just wondering if 15 would cause knock. I am not sure what these improvements do as far as psi handeling of the engine if anything at all.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The engine internals are the last thing you need to worry about. They will handle it. And the stock turbos arent good for much over 12 psi, because they become grossly ineffcient at any higher boost levels. Same goes for the intercoolers. Fuel delivery and ignition is key. The stock fuel system is fine for stock turbos, but you will want bigger injectors and a bigger pump with some type of controller for any turbo upgrade.

If you want to know the high-failure parts on these cars, search for Transfer case, transmission, clutch, driveshaft, waterpump, oilpump, motor mounts etc.

Be sure and change the timing belt and water pump every 60,000 miles, run synthetic oil and religiously check the fluid levels in your transfer case and transmission. Also, go with a slightly colder Iridium-type sparkplug gapped down a little (search for the exact gap) Thats a good start. :mitsu:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool that helps out alot. With the stock turbos I have ran steady 13psi all the way up to 6000 rpm. Never tried any higher but if my boost guage is correct then it held the boost until I let off the gas. but I will Def. get some new turbos and intercoolers this year. i found which turbos I want but do you have any suggestions on which intercooler is the best for these cars. my car only has 68,000 miles so it just had the 60,000 service done to it. which fuel pump and what size enjectors do you recomend? I am truely new to these cars so I dont know very much yet. what does a colder spark plug mean can you give me a name brand of plug? Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts