Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow St. L 3si-ers...
Just posting to see if anyone would be interested in helping me diagnose and fix the problem I am having with my 91 TT. I am in St. Charles, but I will drive to where ever if someone is willing to help...I will pay in money, beer, food, whatever...
The car has only 41K miles on it. I bought it with almost 40K on it. Recently it has been stalling, popping (in the exhaust), and just sounding awful.
First thing I checked was the boost controller. The previous owner was boosting at about 14-15 psi, so I figured that was ok with the mods he had on it. I even set the boost to 7 psi to see if that made a difference -- nope...
Then I read on the board that it could be my plugs/wires. 2 weeks ago I installed brand new Denso Iridium plugs (IK27) with Accel 8mm wires. STILL the same problem...
I continued reading messages on the board. Different peeps told me that it could be the following: timing; fuel pressure; exhaust leak; O2 sensors; vacuum/intake leak; throttle position sensor; MAS; ignition coils; ECS problem.
That's a lot to check, so I figured I'd ask everyone b/c maybe someone has had the same problem.
One other thing - the previous owner had a str8 thru exhaust w/ no main cat and gutted precats...I had to cut out a section of the str8 pipe to install a cat to pass emissions. After emissions, I reinstalled the str8 pipe and used some Summit Racing clamps and exhaust bandage to ensure no leaks. Could this still be a problem?
List of mods thus far:
-iridium plugs
-Accel wires
-HKS BOV
-DNP hardpipe
-K&N filtercharger
-Blitz DSBC (boost controller)
-gutted precats
-Stillen Downpipe
-HKS dual outlet exhaust
-Stage 3 race clutch
-A/F and boost gauges (Autometer)
-underdrive pulley

I would GREATLY appreciate any and all help in solving this problem...gotta get the ride ready for Spring & Summer!

-Kevin Buerk
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
Pull out the ECU and check the capacitors. It's a fairly common problem with first gens. If it is leaking/bad caps then don't run it longer then you have to. If a capacitor discharges it can fry the mainboard.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mine was doing the exact same thing. Pull the ECU and replace the caps. Gateway Electronics sells them, they'll cost you like $2. You wanna get this problem fixed before the Caps leak onto your board to badly and corrode some of the other connections.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
* Update *

My problem is fixed...thanks to everyone for all of your help!
The problem did turn out to be the ECU capacitors.

Take care,
Kevin Buerk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts