Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the same problem with mine but I was lucker than Roger, mine turned out to be a bad reverse light switch.

But I went through the same thing with the dealer I took mine to, they said it was in the SRS system and it would run $60 per hour to start to track it down and no idea how long or much it would cost. The dealer went further and explained how they would have to remove the bumpers and check each sensor to find the one with the short. This all was a result of me just not feeling like taking on the problem myself, bad move. This was the first and last time have have taken my car in to the dealer.

First check your fuses. The one I found I was having problems with was the no. 18 fuse, it is located in the fuse block under the dash over on the left side. Once you remove the cover no 18 is located on the lower, bottom row second from the farthest to the right. If I recall corectly it's red in color and it is 10 amp fuse.

Ops, lets back up just a little, go into any WalMart, Autozone or Pep Boys or what ever and get yourself a box of replacement fuses, may want to get one box of 10 amp and a mixed box just to have on hand, now continue.

Given the fuse is blown, which it more than likely is, insert a new fuse. With the car not running and the ignition on, turn on your parking lights, turn ignition off, leaving parking lights on and open the door. Parking lights should go off automaticly, check fuse, if it's OK. Next step, with ignition on again put the car in reverse, if you can, see if the lights go on. Turn off ignition and check fuse, hopefully fuse is blown, at this point, if so it's your reverse light switch.

Bottom line, what all this will tell you is where your problem is located. If it blows when you open the door, it's in your automatic light shut off unit. If it blows when you put your car in reverse then it's, more than likely, your reverse light switch. That was my problem and it's only $4.95 from a 3Si discount dealer and easy to install. If the fuse blows as soon as you put it in or as soon as you turn the ignition on sorry to say it's more than likely somewhere in the SRS unit, which would really suck $$$$$$ to fix.

Hope this helps,

One other suggestion get yourself a set of factory shop manuals, from a dealer, they really help in doing things on these cars and since the dealer on an average breaks two things for ever one they fix you'll be money ahead in the, not so, long run.

Dave Best
3Si #62

L

·
0 Posts
I have a 92 VR-4 and the SRS light will not go off. Does this mean my airbag won't work? Dealer quoted me something outrageous just to have it reset. Was wondering if there was any alternative to using the dealer? What could be causing this to come on?
Thanks,
LVIN LRG

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
First change the dealer ....

With the SRS light on, the airbag is disabled. On my car the problem was one of the impact sensors that got fried during a heavy rain shower (under the splash guard in the fenders). A good dealer plugs in the diagnose device and sees the code that has been set to determine what the problem is. In 99% of the cases the SRS ECU is NOT defective !!

You may also follow the ign on/off procedure described in a manual to reset it (I don't have it in mind anymore)

Good luck,
Roger

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
I have the same problem and my fuses, backup lights and everything else listed are fine. I have tried reseting it by unhooking the battery also several times but for various lengths of time but it does not make a difference. I had the same problem with my other stealth but the dealer somehow got it to reset after several tries. More help with this please.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
If all works/checks out correctly, then go to the dealer that you trust to reset the SRS light with the MUT II, this is the only way!! It takes the tech all of about 2-3 minutes to set-up and reset the code.. Don't let them charge you an hour labor, more like 1/4-1/2 hour to be fair..Unless you want to shell out $$$$ for a MUT II, then you can do it yourself, there is NO other way to reset it, disconnecting the battery or the ECI fuse will NOT reset it.. Hope this sheds some light on the subject..!! Merry X-Mas!!

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
Thanks Brian. I was hoping you would help out and shed some light on this subject. Thanks for the advice again.

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
Anyone out there have a MUT II we can borrow? or rent?

R

·
0 Posts
Did you just get your battery replaced? I have a 92 rt/tt and had the battery replaced. The SRS light came and stayed on. Took it back a short while later. They took the leads off the battery, touched the - to + leads for 10-15 seconds, reconnected the leads to the battery, and the SRS light went off...May work for you too.

L

·
0 Posts
I checked the reverse lights...They do not come on and sure enough, the fuse is blown. Replaced it and it blew again. However, I also noticed that the lights no longer automatically go off when you open the door. Dave B. Mentioned that I should turn the lights on, open the door and the lights should go off...They USED to do this, but haven't lately. Same fuse? What controls this?

THanks guys...
LVIN LRG

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
I took the leads off the battery, touched the - to + leads for 10-15 seconds, reconnected the leads to the battery. It still didn't work. My fuses are all fine and the interior and exterior lights and backup lights all work fine. I think I might have to go see the dealer soon.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you are blowing fuses, you have short, somewhere in your electrical system on that circuit, plan and simple.

Now you have to find out what is causing the fuse to blow. When does the fuse blow? as soon as you put it in?, when you put it in reverse? or when you try the parking lights?

Resetting the SRS light it will not work, if you have a short and keep blowing fuses. As I said before you have to try to determine at what point does the fuse blow.

As stated before, there are 3 things on the number 18 fuse. 1-automatic light shut off, 2-back up light and 3-SRS unit.

Now with out doing anything just replace the fuse, if it blows as soon as the ignition is activated, then I hate to say it but it's, more than likely, in the SRS circuitry somewhere, at least that is my best guess.

You have to find out where before you can determine why. Again this is not as simple as reseting the SRS light, if the fuse is blowing .... you have a short. And you have to fix the short before you can think about resetting the light.

Dave Best
3Si #62

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
No blown fuses and everything works great. New battery but SRS light still on and won't go away.

·
I scare clowns
445 Posts
btw: Just for additional info, my srs
light was always on, and when I got into
my accident, both the airbags DID deploy.

My 2 pesos..

-= nav =-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts