Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Me Tarzan..u Jane
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I gotta question for everyone.
Has anyone ever had there car make a squealing sound that seems like it is coming from the front drivers side of the car at about 3500 - 3700 RPM kinda sounds like it would be a loose belt but it only does it for about a second. My car started doing this right before the clutch went out. Since then I have had a new clutch, hub assembly, all new belts, water pump, driver side engine mount, and it is still making that noise I thought I would have fixed it when i replaced the Timing belt cause there was a lot of slack around the water pump and could move it with my hand, the belt wasnt snug against the wheel.

So any suggestions would help alot I'm gonna go insane if I dont figure out what is causing this noise.

If you help me THANK YOU in advance

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
I bet it's your new belts. Just because they're new doesn't mean they wont squeal. When I installed my underdrive pulley I used cheap NAPA brand belts. OOPS! Everytime I accelerated while the AC was on it would squeal. I switched to the best belts around (Gates) and the squeal went away.

Replace em with some "Gates" brand belts...I bet it will go away.

·
Me Tarzan..u Jane
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just put the belts on this past weekend and it had been doing it for about a month or more. didnt help at all.

·
Senior Member "Go Pig Go"
3,086 Posts
trevor how long have you had the underdrive pulleys in.....im still torn about getting them because a good family friend of ours is also my mechanic and he strongly urged me not ot get them because of the harmonics balancers or something like that

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
Not too long...only like 6,000 miles. I'm not real worried about it though. In theory the arguments against the UD pulley without balancers sound valid. In practice there seems to be no ill effects to the UD pulley. Matt Monett from Dynamic Racing has customers with over 40K on thier UD pulleys. If my engine lasts that long without a rebuild I'll be pretty happy. :D

·
Grrr, baby, grrr
6,119 Posts
I think it's the accessory belt, like Trevor said. Happened to me once.

·
Me Tarzan..u Jane
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont think its the Acces. belt because it does it w/ and w/o the AC on just makes the sound at 3500-3700 RPM's

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Trevor,
where did you get your gates belts? What are the part number you got. I also have the underdrive pulley so I should be able to use the same belts as you.

·
Me Tarzan..u Jane
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Question....
should the timing belt be snug up against the water pump or will it have slack until you start the car and the tensioner tightens it up???? cause I looked at my car this weekend and that is the only thing I can figure is making the noise??? if its suppose to be tight around water pump how do i take out the slack w/o messing up the timing????

Thanks

·
Registered
832 Posts
Do you have a open air filter with the stock BOV? Most cars like that will make a hooting sound around in there. Might do a search on it and see if it sounds like your problem. If it is, its normal, but also a good reason to upgrade the BOV.

·
Me Tarzan..u Jane
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do have an open air filter but I hear the BOV when I shift under boost and the sound I'm hearing is alot louder then the BOV

·
Registered
832 Posts
yeah, the bov will work normally, making the nice whoosh sound, and I think the hooting sound is very normal, its just the stock airbox will muffle the sound. When you add the open air filter then the sound becomes a lot louder. So, IF that is your problem, its really nothing to worry about, but it is kinda obnoxious. My car does it too, not quite sure of the exact RPM's, but it is somewhere in the 3K-4K range. Makes the hooting sound, but still functions correctly. I think its a small leak or something, but don't quote me on that.

·
Premium Member
12,202 Posts
posted by Trever

"I bet it's your new belts. Just because they're new doesn't mean they wont squeal. When I installed my underdrive pulley I used cheap NAPA brand belts. OOPS! Everytime I accelerated while the AC was on it would squeal. I switched to the best belts around (Gates) and the squeal went away. "

Napa belts ARE gates belts, look on the back of a Napa box. "gates rubber co". Napa is the biggest distribtor of Gates belts in the world.
as for theb seing "cheep" retail in those napa/gates belts is $32 for the big 1, and $26 for the smaller 1. so $39 I sell them for is a VERY good deal.

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
Maybe the ones you got Matt. I had a NAPA in one hand and a Gates in the other. I assure you they were constructed of different materals. The NAPA belt was dry and hard whereas the Gates was made of a softer/supple rubber that was MUCH more flexable. I don't think anyone pulled a switcheroo since the NAPA belt had NAPA logos all over the belt itself...not just the "sleeve." And as far as the price goes I only paid $26 for both belts. I bet that particular belt set was just old stock and NAPA has since changed suppliers. The NAPA that I got that belt from didn't see a whole lot of business and actually went under a few months later.

And Matt...if I can spell your last name right then you should be able to spell my first name...dork! :D

·
Me Tarzan..u Jane
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
not sure which brand the belts are but I paid $50 for both of them from Advance, they are a softer rubber and the inside that fits into the grooves was kinda wavey (guess so they dont crack like flat belts)

The thing is I changed the belts cause it was making the sound and it is still making the sound.

The car doesnt seem to make the sound when WOT. And I dont think it is the BOV cause it's coming from the Drivers side of the car.

Any more suggestions???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.