Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you store your car in the winter, do you do anything special with the top? Should I keep lubing the top once a month anyway? This will be my first winter storing the Spyder, any tips?

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
14,626 Posts
Iz....

Im clueless as well.
I did take some white lithium grease and grease all the hinges and runners....funny I still get this big SQUEAK just as the top finishes folding all the way in (anyone else have this?).

I am planning on exercising it as much as possible.

Bob.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Iz....

OhioSpyderman said:
Im clueless as well.
I did take some white lithium grease and grease all the hinges and runners....funny I still get this big SQUEAK just as the top finishes folding all the way in (anyone else have this?).

I am planning on exercising it as much as possible.

Bob.
I use a spray lubricant on my top, never had a problem with squeaks, its operation is smooth and quiet :D So you think I should go out and operate the top once in awhile? I can take it for a ride around the block every couple weeks so my tires dont crack up on me.

·
In charge
1,814 Posts
I haven't had the car long enough to experience setting it up for the winter. How often do you guys lube up the hinges? I havent done it yet. We've had the car for a few months and there are no squeeks right now.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I lube the top once a month, never had a problem with it :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am not ashamed to ask

I just got my Spyder and I have not lubed the top yet.

Where should I spray the grease and is there a recommended brand?

:confused:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't remember the exact brand that I have been using, I will check it out when I get home. You should lubricate all mving parts of the top, they are easy to get to and it only takes a few seconds to do :)

·
IDIC
4,390 Posts
funny I still get this big SQUEAK just as the top finishes folding all the way in (anyone else have this?).
Could just be the rubber gaskets rubbing against something..unless it sounds like a metal-on-metal squeek

-Aaron
'94 R/T TT
'95 VR-4 Spyder
'95 Pearl Yellow R/T (belongs to Mom)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I lube it once before winter, and once after. Top working like new, no squeaks.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
14,626 Posts
err.....da.....

Ok...Im an idiot. I found the cause of my BIG SQUEAK.

Some may remember that when I first got mine, while messing around with the top down, my bannana shaped piece above the back seat sort of got out of position...and I ....a....forced it back in!!! Thus breaking some plastic brackets/channel. I had a friend at work make me new ones out of NYLATRON. Well, they must be just slightly out of position (rubbing), cus when I sprayed a little lubricant (lithium) on them, the squeak was gone.

I havent re-adjusted them yet, but will soon.

/idiot mode off/

Bob.:rolleyes:

·
In charge
1,814 Posts
Re: err.....da.....

OhioSpyderman said:
Ok...Im an idiot. I found the cause of my BIG SQUEAK.

Some may remember that when I first got mine, while messing around with the top down, my bannana shaped piece above the back seat sort of got out of position...and I ....a....forced it back in!!! Thus breaking some plastic brackets/channel. I had a friend at work make me new ones out of NYLATRON. Well, they must be just slightly out of position (rubbing), cus when I sprayed a little lubricant (lithium) on them, the squeak was gone.

I havent re-adjusted them yet, but will soon.

/idiot mode off/

Bob.:rolleyes:
Well, better that you found it then having it worry you to death the whole winter. I'll remember this the next time I want to use brute force to put parts back together.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts