Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aparently my 92 RT TT has spun a bearing and I need to replace the crankshaft. While the oip pan was off they noticed that the Getrag output shaft is stripping. Aren't I lucky. A bad lower end and transmission. Of course all of this just after having the 60K tune, etc...

Should I replace the entire lower end, install a used jap long block or just replace the crankshaft?

I will replace the Getrag output shaft eventually. Probably now while the engine is down.

What do you think, shoot myself or wait for my wife to kill me? Even worse, she might make me drive a Honda.

Help

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
You need to have them check what shape your rod bearings are in.If they are in good shape, and the crank bearings mounting surfaces are not too badly scored, you can probably get away with a crank kit- new crank, rod and main bearings. I would check at least your front camshafts and make sure their mounting journals look OK. If all looks good have crank installed with new oil pump,water pump, and tensioner if not already replaced and go with it. I was able to do it on mine and saved about $3500 (doing it myself).
Good luck,
Steve
PS- Not worth killing yourself, and if your wife is like mine she won't have enough mercy to kill you- she'll just hold it over your head for the rest of your life and remind you constantly about it.

[This message has been edited by SteveVR4 (edited December 06, 1999).]

·
Registered
408 Posts
A couple of words of warning if you are going to replace the crankshaft, rather than the short block. Just make sure the bearing clearances are to the Mitsu specs in the service manual. I've read of several folks that replaced the crank with the wrong clearances and bearing failed in less than a few hundred miles. This engine uses very tight bearing clearances. Also, I think the crank is surface hardened, so if you grind it you'll have to get it rehardened.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.