Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

41 - 60 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Re: Attention Anyone Who Bought A Pampena Engine...

id say 50% of the forum knows about the dented pan by now but .02% know about the pickup support. VERY IMPORTANT.

thanks for the sticky Jeremy...i chose the title because im waiting for the phone calls.. "i bought an engine from you and the bearings wipe out just like my old one!" LOL

we can make a new title.. SPUN BEARING CAUSES..PLEASE READ!!

can you change it for me bro?

·
Super Moderator
21,059 Posts

id say 50% of the forum knows about the dented pan by now but .02% know about the pickup support. VERY IMPORTANT.

thanks for the sticky Jeremy...i chose the title because im waiting for the phone calls.. "i bought an engine from you and the bearings wipe out just like my old one!" LOL

we can make a new title.. SPUN BEARING CAUSES..PLEASE READ!!

can you change it for me bro?
Jeremy gotcha. ;) ;)

·
Go Mountaineers!!
13,288 Posts

·
Anti-Rice
375 Posts

Yup, oil pans in good condition are few and far between.

Until I fixed all of them in central Texas :p
is erics dented >_>

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Ray my oil pan isn't dented badly but it looks like it may have a small dent in it. It's been that way since I've owned it and ran into no issues -- do you think I should replace it with a new one anyway?
just take it out and 'beat it out':D

·
Talk is cheap.
3,898 Posts
Ray my oil pan isn't dented badly but it looks like it may have a small dent in it. It's been that way since I've owned it and ran into no issues -- do you think I should replace it with a new one anyway?
Beat it like it owes you money.

edit: didn't read the rest of the thread, see above.

·
Go Mountaineers!!
13,288 Posts
How the hell are so many getting dented? I don't recall seeing any dents in my pan but I am damn well going out to look in the morning.

Thanks for the heads up Ray.
By using them as a jack point is the most common reason.

Jeremy

·
Never finished
2,453 Posts
im putting a TT strealth together for a friend of mine and it had the dented pan, while i had it out i banged that center mark as low as the pan could go....its all good now

·
4,227 Posts
Yikes!

I've always used the front subframe. I would never consider using the oil pan, that's just odd to me. Then again, I see a lot of people who like to jack the back end up using the rear gearbox. I'd still never do that.
People jack under the oil pan to do the timing belt because the engine mount has to come off; not to jack the entire car. As far as the rear gearbox (differential) it's what the manual says to jack under for the rear of an AWD car. The diff and it's mounts should easily be able to handle the weight of the car, gotta realize how much stress it has to endure through all those awd launches.

-Antoni

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Need to take my pan off and bash it out, car had a cambelt replacement before I bought it and I`m guessing it`s down to jacking damage!.

Some people have used the weld on dent pullers to good effect without dropping the pan but you can`t inspect the strainer then..

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I could be wrong, but I swear the factory manual tells you
to use the pan to support the engine during T_belt service....I'll
have to double check that....I use the CORNER of the pan where
it won't dent, and is much stronger....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have to say, as a new owner of a 3S and planning on buying another in the near future, thank god for this post! :D This site has been a life saver for trouble shooting my car so far but every other post I read is about spun bearings and it started scaring the crap out of me! I can tell you what I'm doing first thing in the morning haha.
I just really wanted to thank you for the post and for not forgetting about us 3S noobs! lol

·
Busy, please call later
1,205 Posts
Good thread, thanks. Time for a BFH to get those dents out!

I've only checked one of my cars so far and go figure, it is dented. It also happens to be my biggest pos so I hope it is the only one...

·
NOTADSM
4,160 Posts
People jack under the oil pan to do the timing belt because the engine mount has to come off; not to jack the entire car. As far as the rear gearbox (differential) it's what the manual says to jack under for the rear of an AWD car. The diff and it's mounts should easily be able to handle the weight of the car, gotta realize how much stress it has to endure through all those awd launches.

-Antoni
Grrr, I didn't do my 60k, the dealership did. Anyhow, I took some pictures of mine and I'm not quite sure what to think. The oil light has never come on and the pressure has never dropped, even at high RPM. Do I have a problem?

Attachments

41 - 60 of 366 Posts