Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

21 - 40 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Re: Attention Anyone Who Bought A Pampena Engine...

a good friend of mine makes a bigger oil pan he said the heads on our engines are too big for our oil pan, apparently the heads take up most of the oil leaving next to nothing for the block. Should i check for dents on this or does the bigger size negate the problem. I guess i am also a bit confused is this an exterior dent from a hit or is this something that can get dented upon installation. sorry to be a noobee

·
Pampena Motorsports
2,282 Posts

a good friend of mine makes a bigger oil pan he said the heads on our engines are too big for our oil pan, apparently the heads take up most of the oil leaving next to nothing for the block. Should i check for dents on this or does the bigger size negate the problem. I guess i am also a bit confused is this an exterior dent from a hit or is this something that can get dented upon installation. sorry to be a noobee
an undented stock pan is just fine. Unless you are installing an oil pan with a mini sledge hammer, it should not be dented upon install. Usually this happens when people don't know where the jack points are and simply use the oil pan to jack the car up.

·
no speed limits here
3,438 Posts

The dent is typically caused while a 60K is being done. A floor jack is placed under the pan to support the engine when the top motor mount is removed. I bet others have even used that point to jack the car. :eek:

The manual shows the specific points to raise and place jack stands.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts

Do DSMs have similar problems with oil pans?

·
Oh SNAP!!!
6,115 Posts

:stupid:

i have only seen 1 3s with an original oil pan that wasnt dented. my 97. never had the timing belt changed. im sure if it had been the pan would be dented.
my car has the orginal oil pan...and its almost in prefect shape.

·
4,227 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,963 Posts

There is a great thread about it where someone cut away a stock oil pan. Lets just say very very very little.

Coop

·
Registered
326 Posts

Do DSMs have similar problems with oil pans?
Not typically. It's basically the same setup for flow and pickup, but I think the 4g63 engines have far less oil in suspension...and a lot less to travel through before getting to the bearings.

I've seen a lot of Honda's go down because of the same issue - way more than DSM's. A dent from driving would also probably do you in.

I've been thinking about welding a few nubs onto the bottom of the pickup - kind of like you see on an old castle...except upside down. This way if you do have an impact, you would likely bend the pickup before closing off the passage (perhaps though a worse concern would be cracking the pickup...then you have a problem like a drinking straw with a hole in it).

What about redesigning the pickup? Anyone know if this has been attempted...or if there's a reasonable way to do it?

·
Go Mountaineers!!
13,288 Posts

Thread stickied, good information that a lot of us take for granted assuming everyone knows. Might save an engine...or 100. ;)

Jeremy

·
1,614 Posts

Wait, this is new to you guys? I thought this was OLLLLLLLLD news. 3/4 3/S's have dented oil pans.

·
Go Mountaineers!!
13,288 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts

It's not so much just the oil pan being dented and repairing it, but the oil pickup as well which 99% of people don't replace.

Wait, this is new to you guys? I thought this was OLLLLLLLLD news. 3/4 3/S's have dented oil pans.

·
4,227 Posts

Thread stickied, good information that a lot of us take for granted assuming everyone knows. Might save an engine...or 100. ;)

Jeremy
Can the title be changed to something more obvious?

·
Go Mountaineers!!
13,288 Posts

Can the title be changed to something more obvious?
Sure. Let's wait for Ray to see what suggestion he has. That was my only beef with making it a sticky, is I would like a title that's more representative of the content. :)

Jeremy

21 - 40 of 366 Posts