Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

321 - 340 of 366 Posts

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
canton filters come apart and cause problems. You can go with it if you want though.

Coop
I did some search and I did find people having problems with spin on filter elements but this is a way bigger filter and uses bigger filter element .

·
Premium Member
17,963 Posts
I did some search and I did find people having problems with spin on filter elements but this is a way bigger filter and uses bigger filter element .
I know of at least 3 people in the 3/s community that has had a problem with cantons. I find that an alarming rate as not very many people use them in our community.

I too would love a better filter, a bigger filter, but I am not going to use something that I have seen go bad like this. Do you know of any other company that has better quality control checks then canton that you would like to post about? If so I would love to research them as well.

Coop

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
You would think that someone would have made a high quality SS micro mesh lifetime filter that has a hook up for reverse flow cleaning so you run some type of solvent like Acetone, Ketone etc. to clean it and re use it.

·
no speed limits here
3,438 Posts
You would think that someone would have made a high quality SS micro mesh lifetime filter that has a hook up for reverse flow cleaning so you run some type of solvent like Acetone, Ketone etc. to clean it and re use it.
yep. like K&N did for air.

·
Registered
104 Posts
What the heck are you guys doing with your cars?
My AWD Mitsi GT has no dents & it's original.
If the 99.9% claim is near to correct, then you might expect vehicle manufacturers to be a little more "aware" so that this situation can be largely avoided.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I note some questions about engine oil filters.
Well it's a great pity but mostly the filter manufacturers make it very difficult to obtain useful specs on their products.
In the hydraulics industry the minimum requirement is for 5 micron ratings & usually the whole system would be filtered several times each minute as a rule of thumb. You can specify finer filters but they take a bit of effort to obtain.
A filter for car engines that claims to filter to 1 micron is the "Puralator" brand.
I bought mine from Amazon on the recommendation of a local filter suppier.
They are about standard in size which I found surprising & the cost is very reasonable at around $6 ea.
I can not vouch for their claims but I am pretty sure this is a "better type" than most that are available.

·
no speed limits here
3,438 Posts
With some minor modifications the first gen engine will work too. 97-99 is a direct drop in. Find out whats available to you, any engine of this model will work.

Great slideshow! It reminds me when I had my engine and trans sitting in my kitchen because it was the only place I could work that was clean. I was single at the time. ;)

·
Busted Knuckle Garage
1,713 Posts
I note some questions about engine oil filters.
Well it's a great pity but mostly the filter manufacturers make it very difficult to obtain useful specs on their products.
In the hydraulics industry the minimum requirement is for 5 micron ratings & usually the whole system would be filtered several times each minute as a rule of thumb. You can specify finer filters but they take a bit of effort to obtain.
A filter for car engines that claims to filter to 1 micron is the "Puralator" brand.
I bought mine from Amazon on the recommendation of a local filter suppier.
They are about standard in size which I found surprising & the cost is very reasonable at around $6 ea.
I can not vouch for their claims but I am pretty sure this is a "better type" than most that are available.
I've heard a lot of people recommend the Purolator Pure1 filter and I use it whenever I'm not using a Mitsubishi filter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know this thread isn't exactly active, but it was said earlier in this thread that the oil strainer/pickup was discontinued and no longer available. I don't think this is the case any longer, as I've found it here:
Oil Pickup - MD158618

...along with corresponding gasket (note, this part number has changed from MD151448 to MD183239:
Strainer Gasket - MD183239

I haven't ordered these or anything and I can't verify that they are in stock... well, what the hell I'll just order it since it's only $32 and I'm getting some other stuff too. I'll post back and let everyone know whether it ships or not.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah, it's discontinued. I got an email today saying those parts, among the other ones I ordered, are no longer available... so forget what I said up there.

Kinda irritating that they let you put it in your cart and check out like everything's cool, but oh well.

And yes, my pan is dented too... not real bad, just kinda flat where it should be rounded out. Nothing poking inward, but I'll be dropping the pan anyway to correct it. Not taking any chances since it was that way when I bought it 6 months ago.

·
Busted Knuckle Garage
1,713 Posts
The pick-up would have to be completely mangled to need a new part. You just straighten the thing out if it's been pushed out of shape. As long as it's not kinked and there's no holes in the screen there's really no need for a new one. The only thing that I can think of is just make sure you don't overcompensate and pin it against the bottom of the pan so tight that you actually cause a restriction for the oil. I know Ray serviced my used pick-up when he did my motor, and he spoke to me about how he fixed it. I never asked him about my concern about positioning it too close to the bottom of the pan, but he's the surgeon so I was never really worried that he did it wrong, even when he told me he had to fix it.

321 - 340 of 366 Posts