Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or anyones engine for that matter..

ive sold alot of engines lately and im sure other shops have too. i havnt posted info like this in a while and i dont want everyone to FORGET.

99.999999% of all bearing failure is due to dented oil pans. i know alot of you know this by now.. BUT, the pickup is almost always overlooked.

the surface area between the mesh on the screen equals the area of the diameter of the tube. when the pan hits the pickup, it pushes in the screen support bar and that blocks oil from coming from half of the screen. now, the engine will run fine under normal conditions.. but when the engine is reved high, the pump gets starved just like when the pan is still dented and wipes out bearings.

so if the support on the screen is dented, you have the change the pickup or you will wreck your engine.

i cant stress this info enough..and dont forget to push the dent out of the pan!

id like to have this info out there so my engines and ones from other shops dont get ruined

Ray

·
?Mark
16,612 Posts
Re: Attention Anyone Who Bought A Pampena Engine...

I smell a nationwide recall

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I smell a nationwide recall
no not really.. recalls are for safety issues. blown engines, stripped OS shafts, ecu no starts are all covered under factory warrantee. floor jacks on oil pans are covered by nothing.

·
Pampena Motorsports
2,282 Posts

Almost every single one of my customers come in with dented oil pans, and almost all of them had no idea it was even like that until I tell them and explain to them how urgent it is to fix. Take a look under your car guys, if there is a dent FIX IT.
Thanks for the reminder ray.

·
Registered
18,548 Posts

Almost every single one of my customers come in with dented oil pans, and almost all of them had no idea it was even like that until I tell them and explain to them how urgent it is to fix. Take a look under your car guys, if there is a dent FIX IT.
Thanks for the reminder ray.

:stupid:

i have only seen 1 3s with an original oil pan that wasnt dented. my 97. never had the timing belt changed. im sure if it had been the pan would be dented.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts

Actually that's how I meet you Ray. Brought my car into Sunrise Mitsubishi to have the oil flushed and you pulled me aside and pointed out the dented oil pan to me and told me to get it fixed asap. Be 5 years this Oct. :cool:

I pulled the pan and hammered it back into place with a PVC end cap that has the same contour as the pan. Oh and I also replaced the screen while I was in there. :)

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts

floor jacks on oil pans are covered by nothing.
:D

I have not had one of these engines apart so don't really know what might be happening here.

On the Jeep engines I have rebuilt, there is a "button" on the bottom of the oil pickup that prevents it from being completely starved for oil. . . . Even if the pan gets dented, it simply bends the oil pickup tube, keeping the pickup from getting too close to pan, . . . maintaining some clearance.

Could something like this be "welded" to the bottom our pickup, as future insurance?

·
broke joke
1,018 Posts

Good info to keep fresh on the boards. Check your pans people. Thanks Ray.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts

I never knew this! I thought it was still under investigation as to why these engines spin bearings.

Definitely nice to know, and mine is dented like SerebReal's (circular). Looks sort of like it was supposed to be like that:confused:

I'll have to check it out, thanks!

·
Talk is cheap.
3,898 Posts

Should the oil pan be totally flat on the bottom? Mine has a circle in the middle that looks like it is raised up slightly...

The circle in the middle of the bottom part of the oil pan should not be raised up at all. It should stick out downwards evenly all around with no dents in it.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts

Good reminder. Im happy to say that I just put a new one on my TT. Old one was semi dented, I figured I'm doing tons of work town there I may as well. Luckily nothing with the pickup was busted up.

·
4,227 Posts

I got my car with a dented pan :(

found low oil pressure
out of spec pump
worn rod/bearings

I undented it but the damage was done already.

·
Registered
17,522 Posts

Yup, oil pans in good condition are few and far between.

Until I fixed all of them in central Texas :p

·
Norcal3S.com
4,596 Posts

Great reminder! :bigthumb: however mine was never dented :D 165k+ miles and still chuggin

1 - 20 of 366 Posts