Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. Went to do a little shopping last week, took a left turn and as I came out of the turn and had no power. I could just about keep the motor running though it wouldn't idle for long. It coughed, spluttered and banged and pressing the gas pedal made no difference.
I did call a friend who knows more about these motors than I do and he was pretty adament that I had a split or diconnection in the Y pipe side of things. I've looked but can find nothing there. Also been in to the intercoolers.
My question is could the fault that gives these symptoms be somewhere or something else? Thanks.

·
Lovbyts
4,203 Posts
Its hard to see sometimes but yeah it sounds like a pipe jumped off somewhere. Usually its the Y pipe where it connects to the throttle body. Ive also seen the pipe at the intercooler and the BOV come off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry guys, It's a late 94 VR4. There was no warning before the breakdown and I have no dianostic instruments due to the fact all the ones I've tried don't work.
Thanks Paul, I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
3,902 Posts
Any CEL (code) showing or retained in memory?
............... I have no dianostic instruments due to the fact all the ones I've tried don't work.
Don’t need diagnostic instruments to pull codes on a ’94 car, below is link for guidance on '94 & '95 year cars for pulling codes, by simply grounding pin 1 of data link connector and then watching CEL light flashes with ignition turned to on. And a clearer picture of data link connector pin 1 grounded below that, its just flipped upside down from one shown if link which is from factory manual.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
3,902 Posts
You could also pull ECU (link below on how to do that) and take clear pictures of board top side to post here. That would allow us to see capacitors installed and maybe see if any visual problem signs are apparent. Be aware those four small cover screws are often tight, so use proper fitting Phillips head screw driver and a lot of inward force when breaking them lose.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don’t need diagnostic instruments to pull codes on a ’94 car, below is link for guidance on '94 & '95 year cars for pulling codes, by simply grounding pin 1 of data link connector and then watching CEL light flashes with ignition turned to on. And a clearer picture of data link connector pin 1 grounded below that, its just flipped upside down from one shown if link which is from factory manual.
View attachment 303366
Is this the skt I'd usually connect a diagnostic tool into? I hav to make sure of all these things as I'm in the UK and RHD iss laid out a little differently here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately I tried this and got just the blinking of a no fault condition. Anyone with any more ideas out there? I'm getting desperate.
Could a leak in the input to the turbos from the air filter be a cause? I can't see one but I think I can feel one if I get a finger to the rear turbo. I was told it's the wrong side of the turbo to cause a problem but the Volume air flow sensor is on the input side so it must be doing something.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
15,889 Posts
Have you checked the mechanical timing (maybe the belt jumped a tooth or more).
When was the last 60K done on the car?
Check the fuel pressure? (maybe your pump is dying).
Clogged fuel filter?

You have to be methodical about your approach to diagnosing and fixing issues like these.
Unfortunately issues like these don't fix themselves...

Bob.

Reactions: white93gt

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you checked the mechanical timing (maybe the belt jumped a tooth or more).
When was the last 60K done on the car?
Check the fuel pressure? (maybe your pump is dying).
Clogged fuel filter?

You have to be methodical about your approach to diagnosing and fixing issues like these.
Unfortunately issues like these don't fix themselves...

Bob.
Timing belt replaced less than 2000 miles ago. I will check the fuel pressure but the way this fault occured was very sudden with no load on the engine, just a smooth left turn. Then no acceleration and some banging and spluttering.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts