Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 346 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered one of their TD05 turbo kits and front mount intercoolers in March 2011. Still waiting on receiving all the parts. Seriously, SSM, what will it take to just get everything I ordered? If you can't follow through shipping the rest of the kit, then can I return what you have shipped for a refund? I have been more than patient, took the issue to the mods, but you give them the same run around you do me.

·
ChatzVr4
145 Posts
Pm sent to you

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Received the kit as of 8 August, but would like to return at least the manifolds, turbos, and down-pipe. With the quality of the kit as it is I do not feel comfortable installing this on my vehicle and some of the parts are configured wrong. That is why I "absolutely" requested pictures to be emailed to me before you sent out the parts so that mistakes were not made resulting in both of use incurring extra shipping charges and hassle. Also the turbocharger oil ports and housings were not sealed, thus I have a lot of Styrofoam and other debris in the compressor housing, turbine housing, and in the oil ports. I don't know why these were not sealed to prevent this during shipping, but I would feel uncomfortable even using the turbo chargers that are shipped without any protection to those areas. I was adamant that I wanted quality and willing to pay for it, that was an absolute must for this project. Price was not an issue. I may still be able to use the intercooler, but have not completely inventoried everything that came in the intercooler boxes. I did notice that the 90* coupler is the wrong size. Should have been a 3"x3" setup for the CXRacing throttle body, but its a 3"x2.75" setup for stock. I sent you an email and awaiting a response. Will also call you infrequently until someone answers the phone. My number is (850)-529-1841 if you want to try to call me in the interim.

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Called again today and spoke with "Eric". Hopefully, I'll receive a call back and get this resolved as soon as possible. I'm scheduled to go back to the Middle East around 15 September so I have minimal time.

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will update within the week, but still waiting for SSM to respond or call me, because my kit may be an exception and not the norm. If price is not an issue, I would highly suggest going with one of the Dynamic Racing kits, if they will still make TD05 kits. I have a set here as well of the DR kit and you can see the huge difference in quality comparing the two. I had one of the earlier DR kits that had a few small quirks, but still the welds, how the pipes are routed is pristine, compared to the SSM kit I'm looking at right now. Currently, the kit I have from SSM right now is not going to touch my car in its current condition. I just returned from Iraq, and am only home for a month so only have a limited time to deal with this, but will do will update with pics and full write up in the product reviews section.

·
4L 6G74 Stroker FWD NA
3,327 Posts
I have been as patient as and swore to myself I'd keep this off the forums but still waiting on a partial refund to get there 'fatty' intake manifold slightly modified so it actually works with there TB. been almost 40 days for s simple paypal transaction and I'm still waiting. I was a big fan of there but now giving me a run around I'm just gettin more pissed off day after day....

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Interior of one of the pipes, most if not all have debris all in them as well as similar poor welds, some which would not be conducive to exhaust flow.

Interior of down-pipe with welds and pipe not being conducive to exhaust flowing in that direction with the pipe overhang.

One of the collectors, not a huge deal, but compared to the dynamic racing manifolds you can tell which lacks attention to detail and quality.

I don't know what went on with this weld, but the pipes become extremely uneven, and look horrible from the interior with all the pipe overhang and edges. This is just an exterior shot.

One more shot of the same pipe; again looks very bad on the interior.

Every single header port is like this or worse, the pipe is welded offset to the header flange port and seems a little to small, especially when compared against a set of DR style headers. I reference DR because I have a set of those around as well.

Next header port.

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Next header port.

Oil returns; not acceptable for the standards I was looking for. Not a fan of the type of hose being used. The lines I made out of 10an SS braided hose on my current kit are much more acceptable and I don't have to worry about the heat working a number over whatever material that is being used in the SSM kit.

Huge offset on this pipe and its too small for the flange port. To much overhang in the interior.

Next header port.

Next header port.

The other collector.

This was one of the things that irked the hell out of me. Can't really see if from the picture, but the oil ports are full of debris, dirt, and Styrofoam. No effort was made to seal the compressor, turbine, oil, or water points on the turbo. They were just thrown in a box. New turbochargers should not arrive with who knows what made its way into the cartridge oiling ports.

This is how the rear turbo wastegate was mounted. Pressure test it and you will see that the wastegate arm is wedged so tight from the way its pressed against the housing it won't move. Additionally, the wastegate is held in by one bolt and will allow flex. I fully 100% expected a professional bracket to be built and not some BS work like this on the wastegate. If SSM would have communicated with me and sent me pictures prior to shipping this (as they promised) then this mistake could have been avoided.

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow WTF!. I only asked because I had ordered a set of TD05 manifolds and O2s myself a long time ago. Want to sell your DR headers?
I'm keeping the DR headers, they only need to be re-powder coated and need to weld some studs into the rear O2 housing. My intention with the SSM kit was to have a perfect bolt in kit, that I would have to do zero mods to fit and would be near perfect. Price was not a concern on this as I wanted to have something I could bolt in on my car and use my DR kit on another car was will possibly be getting. I'm only home for a month before returning back to the Middle East for work and didn't want something that was going to be a project. Maybe my expectations were just too high.

·
Car is wrong wheel drive
2,764 Posts
Wow that looks rough, looks like the welds were not backpurged. I was really hoping to see some good stuff out of these guys.

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Absolutely not, you can't mount the rear wastgate like that, especially if you don't pressure test it to see how much it moves only being held in by one bolt, and oh, double checking to make sure the wastegate arm isn't wedged so tight it will barely budge.

Slightly rough edge on the interior welds. Was really hoping for a better design on this as the exhaust almost hits a complete wall. Once again compare to DR type headers that Titan Bending used to build and you will see the quality difference.

Another interior shots of the pipes, very sloppy in my opinion and there is interior debris everywhere. I expected better and something a little more clean.

Would have been nice if there wasn't so much slag in all the interior of the pipes. Possible some might break loose and wreck havoc on a turbine wheel.

I don't know you guys can be the judge of this one. I'm not very happy at all.

This is something else ugly I was wanting to avoid, the huge indentation for the bolt or stud between O2 housing and the turbocharger.

And I think that is it unless I need more pictures.

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've tried calling and emailing, so far no response, but managed to leave a message with "Eric" today. Who didn't know anything, but requested that someone in charge there call me back. I've also posted my number here for SSM to call me.

·
Super Moderator
9,111 Posts
Damn, sorry for all the trouble. I can say that Patryn requested pictures from SSM several times. I know several times I had to send SSM a PM to contact Patryn when I was moderator. But they were always quick to respond to my PMs.

I was hoping this transaction would turn out well for all the trouble Patryn has had with it.

·
curt93T/T
5,079 Posts
Absolutely not, you can't mount the rear wastgate like that, especially if you don't pressure test it to see how much it moves only being held in by one bolt, and oh, double checking to make sure the wastegate arm isn't wedged so tight it will barely budge.
That wastegate is mounted waaaay to far up. The bolt hole that doesn't have a bolt should be where the middle bolt mount is. Did they drill into the housing, or did they actually put a mount and then installed the bolt? By looking at those headers I think I'll spend the extra money and go with DNP if and or when I got from TD05 to DR750's.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They just bolted it to the compressor housing using a stock bolt location. It just isn't meant to be used for the wastegate. They made no effort to properly mount the wastegate. Again, didn't care if it incurred an extra cost to do a very good job. I wanted something where I didn't have to start modifying or trying to "make" things fit, since I'm only home for one month. Either way, I can't believe the lack of detail, with the wastgate arm wedged so tight it will not budge easily.

1 - 20 of 346 Posts