Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any experiences? I have them in my car from the previous owner. Not thrilled so far, but they were gapped kind of high (0.040+). Runs better after re-gapping just the first easy access 3 plugs. But should I ditch them altogether? Right now I'm sufferring through that stumbling/hesitation under hard accelleration, which may be plugs or possibly one tooth off the timing belt (last owner also did this by himself, and when I quizzed him on the procedure, didn't mention using any specialized tools).

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hey Diablo,

As I told you before, my car missed really badly until I replaced the aftermarket plugs that where in the car when I bought it with stock NGKs gapped at .034. I would change them (and the wires) now. Gap them at .034 since I know you want to add a boost controller soon.

If you want to check if your timing belt is off a tooth, its really no big deal. Remove the upper covers (5 bolts) and you'll see the marks on the pullys and heads in the front and rear bank. The crankshaft timing mark is a little tougher to get to, but not that bad. Remove the drivers side wheel and the plastic cover, then remove the crank pully. The timing mark is right on the shaft the pully attaches to (though you MAY have to remove the lower timing belt cover to get a good look at it). Just crank the motor until everything lines up. It will be REAL easy to spot if you're off a tooth.

BTW, I just finished my timing belt on Sunday using Motorhead's crank-pully-puller tool. I doubt if he would mind me loaning it to you if you want to check your timing marks. I'll ask him but I'm sure he wouldn't mind. Let me know.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I can't say I've ever used the splitfire plugs but I have not read anything positive about them. I did try a set of Bosch Plus 4's in my VR4 and this is exactly what happened (stumbling and hesitation under acceleration. Put in a new set of NGK's and the problem vanished. Car runs great.

Chris

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
Actually I have heard a lot of positive post from people using them, even in turbos. I have been using them for about 6 months or more. They seem to work better than anything else I have used except the stock NGKs. I have notice that lately I have started getting a little bit of back fire when decelerating and under hard acceleration it hesitates sometime. I would have to recommend staying with the stock gaped at .34 as well. I am changing mine back to stock this week. I ordered them for $9.86 each. Check post for where to get stock parts that was done today. They have good prices. Good luck.

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
Opps, sorry I got a little comfused. I am using the Bosch +4s. I did use the split fires but I was even less impresed. I got a lot of back fire from them. Sounded like a Rustang (opps, did I say that) with bad exhaust. Again, stick with the NGKs

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! This question will probably keep coming up, but it looks like there is no better plug for our cars than the NGK's.
Mike, I didn't know you had the same trouble. I either forgot, or assumed it was related to your turbo woes. Glad to hear you're almost done. Might have to send you after Pontiactempest and Tbird to give them what for! I've got all of the plugs out now, couple were really bad, others ok, but gapped kind of high. I'll order the parts tomorrow and take it for a run. I'll also look at the timing belt, but right now, I got more stuff apart and more bolts on the garage floor than I can handle! BTW, did you get my email about installing the boost gauge?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Diablo,

Remember when I FIRST got the car on the road back in August after the tranny and I was saying how I had a miss that got worse after I installed the boost controller? It took me like 5 weeks to get Magnecore wires because everyone was backordered at the time but once I replaced the plugs and wires the miss went away. Hope this jogs your memory.

BTW, are you replacing the wires now, too? What kind? Did your stock wires have a date stamped on them (mine said 1991 so I know they were factory originals).

I didn't get your email about installing a boost guage. Did you send it to work or home? Either way, send it to me at work and I'll get back to you.

Let me know about the if you want the timing belt tool ASAP as I should really get it back to Kevin or someone else who needs it pretty soon. I kinda want to hold on to it until I get it ALL back together and running in case I need to tear it apart again for some reason. (BTW, my turbos shipped yeasterday!)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do remember now. Funny, I must be having problems with my yahoo mail, cuz I responded to that "asswipe" email, and kind of added on a question about how you have installed the boost gauge with the least amount of cosmetic compromise? i just don't want to drill into very much, or have wires and hoses all over the place. I'll finish the plugs tonight / tomorrow, and let you know if I'll need the tool.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I got your response to the "Asswipe" email (those of you who are wondering what we are talking about see the Mustang vs. '91 TT thread). BTW, 95T-Bird sent me an apology email. Anyway, I re-read your email and didn't see anything about a boost guage install. Weird.

Anyway, I'm the LAST person you'd want to ask about making a boost gauge install look pretty. I just removed the plastic A-Pillar cover and zip-tied my guage to the metal A-pillar! A pretty install REQUIRES a guage cup. Get one if you haven't already.

I finally got a guage cup a couple of weeks ago, I just haven't installed it yet. If you want the wires and hoses to be completely out of sight, you more or less HAVE to drill a hole in your A-Pillar trim peice to fish the wires and vaccuum hose through. This is what I did on the Talon and I don't see any way around it.

The good news is that this is the ONLY thing you have to drill to have a clean install. You fish both the hose and power wire down the space on the far left side of the dash which opens up when you remove the A-pillar trim. You tap the wire into a power source which is only on when the headlights are on (I tapped into the other guage lights so that the boost guage dims with the others). The vaccuum hose gets fished through an existing hole in the firewall (have to push a rubber plug out but that's it). Check Roger's site for the hose on the car to tap into with the "T" fitting (there's a picture under "Turbo Basics". Sorry for all the rambling let me know if any of this doesn't make sense.

Later,

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts