Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I got my vr4 the only things not working were the tach and the speedometer. I replaced the tach capacitors and it's working fine. The speedometer was working, but was reading 15-20mph too low. I read that the speedo gear gets stripped so I went ahead and ordered one(and decided to upgrade to the 94+ one for better speed accuracy). I got a brand new speedo gear, still in the package, and installed it. I noticed when I pulled the old one out it was not stripped. I figured I already had it out so I might as well put the new one in. Well I put the new on in, it went in very easily, and took a drive and my speedometer didn't work at all. So I went to take the speed sending unit back off and it was stuck, hard. When I finally got it back out the new gear was stripped. I put the old one back in and the speedometer is back to working but still reading 15-20 mph low. The speedo sensor appears to be brand new(previous owner said he replaced it before selling).

This leads me to believe the speedometer itself is bad, but both the odometer and trip odometer work correctly, and as far as I can tell they are one complete unit. I haven't been able to find any threads about fixing the speedometer itself, and I'm hesitant to replace it because I wanna keep the odometer.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
1,914 Posts
....This leads me to believe the speedometer itself is bad, but both the odometer and trip odometer work correctly, and as far as I can tell they are one complete unit. I haven't been able to find any threads about fixing the speedometer itself, and I'm hesitant to replace it because I wanna keep the odometer.

Any ideas?
I assume you know how to get clear cover off cluster assembly since you’ve already replaced capacitors in tach. The speedometer pointer just snugly slips onto pin, I’ve read that if you have cluster in place, remove pointer, turn key to on position (power to cluster) and install pointer at zero mph that it will correct reading if speedo is ok. IDK from experience, just recall reading that.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I seem to have solved the problem, apparently the speedometer capacitors are just as crappy as the tach's. I replaced a 6.8uF25v capacitor and the resistor adjacent to it and it seems to work perfectly now. I took it on the road, fired up waze, and adjusted the needle accordingly.

·
Registered
1992 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo
157 Posts
I seem to have solved the problem, apparently the speedometer capacitors are just as crappy as the tach's. I replaced a 6.8uF25v capacitor and the resistor adjacent to it and it seems to work perfectly now. I took it on the road, fired up waze, and adjusted the needle accordingly.
I wonder if I could fix my speedo this way..... It's always about 5mph off.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if I could fix my speedo this way..... It's always about 5mph off.
Is it always 5mph consistently? As in at 25 it is showing like 30, and 75 at 70? If so you can just pull the cluster, take of the front plastic but leave the black surround on, and reinstall it. The speedo needle pulls right off, just get to a fixed speed and set it.

·
Registered
1992 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo
157 Posts
Is it always 5mph consistently? As in at 25 it is showing like 30, and 75 at 70? If so you can just pull the cluster, take of the front plastic but leave the black surround on, and reinstall it. The speedo needle pulls right off, just get to a fixed speed and set it.
Hmmm. I'll give that a shot. Haven't checked the exact accuracy of it at different speeds, but i know it's about 5mph off at 55mph. I'll do some checking to see if it's consistent then pull the gauge. It's only been a minor annoyance for me since I got the car, but it would be very nice if it read properly.

·
92/99 3000GT VR-4
575 Posts
Sorry to bring up this thread again but I’m looking to replace my capacitors on my speedo as well. Odometer works fine but no speedometer. So I assume capacitors. Are they hard to do? Will it be obvious which capacitors need replacing?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to bring up this thread again but I’m looking to replace my capacitors on my speedo as well. Odometer works fine but no speedometer. So I assume capacitors. Are they hard to do? Will it be obvious which capacitors need replacing?
Nope not hard to do at all if you can solder. The speedo has two caps and a resistor that seem to go bad. If you pull the speedo anything but t should be pretty obvious.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Uhh I made a recent reply to someone else that had the cap and resistor I do in it. If you dig through my posts you'll see it.

·
92/99 3000GT VR-4
575 Posts
So i finally pulled my cluster and took it apart. I read the other thread in which you replied and posted pictures of your speedo. You mentioned you replaced your capacitors. Were they leaking? I took a look at mine but they look perfect and no leaks or bubbling. Should I swap them out anyway? I noticed in one of your pictures of the capacitors that the 2 capacitors were different sizes. Did you replace them with the same 6.8uf25v? The 2 capacitors that are from the factory read 25v 100uf and the other one is 25v 22. I already bought the ones you suggested at 6.8 25v.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So i finally pulled my cluster and took it apart. I read the other thread in which you replied and posted pictures of your speedo. You mentioned you replaced your capacitors. Were they leaking? I took a look at mine but they look perfect and no leaks or bubbling. Should I swap them out anyway? I noticed in one of your pictures of the capacitors that the 2 capacitors were different sizes. Did you replace them with the same 6.8uf25v? The 2 capacitors that are from the factory read 25v 100uf and the other one is 25v 22. I already bought the ones you suggested at 6.8 25v.
Do you have a picture? The ones on my board were 6.8uf 25v(tall) and two 22uf 25v(short) I believe. The only picture I have is super blurry

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm you definitely have different caps than I do. On mine the right most cap is still a 22uf 25v where yours is the 100uf25v. The large resistor is also different with mine being a 4.7k 5% and yours being a 5.6k 5%. I know they changed out a lot of the PCB components for the 2nd gen, so I'd go with whatever is currently on the board. Also what do the contact patches look like on the bottom? Do any of them seem corroded?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yup, that's exactly how mine looked, replace that bad boy. I'd also do the capacitors too, because something caused that over voltage on the resistor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts