Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
61 - 65 of 65 Posts

· Twin Turbo
5,262 Posts
Check wiring etc but also check the ecu. If main cluster and the centre guages are no good it has to be wiring or ecu.

· <3's lapping days
3,900 Posts
If anyone with a later VR4 comes across with this thread with the same problem and you cant figure it out there is one other solution.

The speedometer gear ON the differential is plastic. If it splits it will slip on the diff and read really slow. I took off my speed sensor and the 10mm and the gear and stuck my finger down there and could spin the plastic gear along the OD of the diff where it should be locked onto.

Older USDM TT transmissions have the solid metal gear cast into the diff housing. My 98 has a plastic gear and it failed, it sucks. No speedo or cruise control for my 6k NG trip in 2 days.... Also I guess JDM trannies have the plastic gear, too.

20,248 Posts
If anyone with a later VR4 comes across with this thread with the same problem and you cant figure it out there is one other solution.

The speedometer gear ON the differential is plastic. If it splits it will slip on the diff and read really slow. I took off my speed sensor and the 10mm and the gear and stuck my finger down there and could spin the plastic gear along the OD of the diff where it should be locked onto.

Older USDM TT transmissions have the solid metal gear cast into the diff housing. My 98 has a plastic gear and it failed, it sucks. No speedo or cruise control for my 6k NG trip in 2 days.... Also I guess JDM trannies have the plastic gear, too.
hey just noticed this, I have had 2 JDM six speeds with an apparent manufacture date of 93 and 94 and they did have the steel gear, so it was changed later in the production run for the JDM transmissions too.

· Verified Seller
1,976 Posts
I've had 2 vr4s with this issue.

On my 92 3000gt vr4, there was a write up on how to test your speed sensor with a multi meter and wires. If you spin the magnetic spindle on the speed sensor the voltage should increase.

After testing everything, I reseated the speedometer and that didn't fix the problem. Only thing that fixed it was replacing the speedometer with another working one.

I'm not sure if you could borrow someone's speedometer to see if that's the problem.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.