Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

· Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I spoke to a tech guy and he said that maybe my AEM ground was putting out to much power. He said that it could be something in the software I could change that may fix it. Does anyone know what he could be talking about?

I'm getting about fed up with driving with a GPS system. I need my Speedo back!!!! it didn't start until after I put in the AEM

· Premium Member
8,268 Posts
Probably a setting in your AEM... The sensor doesn't "make" a signal... It pulls the 5 volt reference supplied by the ECU to ground to generate a signal. If your speed sensor input for your AEM isn't supplying the needed 5v bias voltage, you will never get a signal.

If the 5v is there, then you need to check the 12v power and the ground at the sensor connector.

· Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
BUMP!! willing to pay for getting this fixed. Anyone?

I've checked the fuse, changed sensor, changed speedo unit (3 times) checked the gear inside of the tranny. Everything is good. Still not working, neither is the fuel gauge.

HELP!!!!!

· Born To Build
589 Posts
I'm usually pretty good at figuring stuff out, but this one has be stumped
I replaced my speed sensor thinking that was the problem but it wasn't also replaced the gauge cluster along with the little gear inside the tranny the damn thing still doesnt work. Neither does the cruise control and the ecs is blinking now these things just stopped working at the same
Time

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Thats a huge clue right there, Your ECS is part of your speedometer circuit. Pull the ECS computer and check for leaking caps. If they are leaking thats most likely the issue.

· Premium Member
8,268 Posts
Already suggested but never addressed in this thread: Does the yellow/white wire at the sensor connector have 5V present key on?

Thats a huge clue right there, Your ECS is part of your speedometer circuit. Pull the ECS computer and check for leaking caps. If they are leaking thats most likely the issue.
Agreed it needs to be checked, but it could just as easily be the ECS computer setting a code 24 for no VSS input.

· die die die!!
8,382 Posts
i think you said that you did it, but:

is it just the pin that sits on top of the transmission, near the slave clylinder, that has the screw type lid for the top.

last time i had my transmission off i managed to loose that little pin. finally i threw a little something in there and it worked. i cut a magnet to "about" the right size, and it works alright. by alright, i mean she flutters.

i dunno, maybe you already did that, good luck.

but really.. isn't it sort of nice to drive without exactly knowing your speed?

_isiah
pickled fish lips:]

· Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I'm leaning towards the ECU also, I've done everything else. I disconnected the ECS and that had no effect other than my ECS not working... I wonder if there is a setting in the AEM that is not configured correctly. Time to call AEM.

· Registered
1,281 Posts
I had this same exact problem with a dead speedo.

Did you check your old speed sensor to see if it had seized up? Mine did and the pin that goes into it had snapped. That is a metal pin and the gear that drives it off of the differential is plastic.

So.....If the sensor seized, the pin broke....there is a good chance the plastic gear is stripped and the differential is not being read by the gear. Pull out the gear and check the teeth on it.

But I have seen cases where the gear is okay and just the pin (metal) breaks.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.